Chapter 9: Encounter

"Can you quit moving around? I can't hear them," Chaeryeong scolded Sunghoon while shuffling around and placing her ear against the closet door. He rolled his eyes at the nosy village girl and continued to admire the princess' lavish belongings.

Sunghoon was eyeing every gown, pair of heels, crown, and fragile piece of jewelry she owned. He could safely say that the size of her closet was equivalent to his entire house.

He dragged his fingers along the countless gowns she owned, his eyes sparkling at every gown he laid his eyes on.

She's really living every girl's dream, huh? He thought to himself and scoffed.

"Stop walking around. None of these gowns fit you," Chaeryeong scolded once again, making the young man give in and sit beside her with his legs crossed.

"I don't want to wear them," he muttered with a slight pout forming at his lips.

"Uh... I don't think so?" Misun awkwardly responded to her tense father, earning a long stare from him before she spoke again. "I mean, who knows? Maybe someone dropped by earlier and left that here as a gift... or something?" she, again, stuttered her words followed by a forced smile and a brief laugh.

Her father sighed while exiting the room and Misun placed her hand on her chest to calm her pounding heart.

"You guys can come out now," Misun sighed as she stood in front of her closet.

Sunghoon opened the door while Chaeryeong was still leaning against it, making her fall on the ground. She groaned as she rubbed the back of her head.

"Couldn't you at least tell me to back off the door??" she complained. Sunghoon ignored her words and grabbed onto Misun's arm.

Earlier in the closet, Sunghoon closely examined the sword Misun threw at him in the pitch darkness. The grip felt odd, and his sword hasn't been properly sharpened and shined in months. Yet the sword that he held in his hands was squeaky clean and was razor-sharp. His grip was wooden, but the sword Misun had given him had an iron grip.

Misun stared at him, eyes wide, and took a step back. She became flustered like she always did whenever he acted bold, and he never failed to take her by surprise due to the fact that he was usually quiet around her.

"Where's my sword?" he asked her, his eyes glued on her face. Misun cocked her head and furrowed her eyebrows before she broke out into laughter.

"Dumbass, you're literally holding it," she chuckled as she took the sword bag from his hand into hers.

Sunghoon released his grip around her arm and stood straight, his arms crossed as he sucked in his cheeks.

Misun took the sword out with a wide grin that quickly vanished as her eyes scanned it. Her eyes widened and she dropped the sword, her eyes then landing on the initials painted on the sword's grip.

"See? It's not mine," Sunghoon huffed out, a smirk plastered on his face.

Misun looked up at him before running into her closet to check every corner, yet every corner had nothing but dust. She mentally cursed at herself as she walked back out.

"Okay, um, don't panic," she told him, her hands constantly running through her hair. And of course, Sunghoon's cheeks were painted red. He didn't know someone could look so cute when panicked.

"Panic? Seems like you're the only one freaking out, sweetheart," he teased, his feet making him walk circles around the princess' room. "I need to get something done by tonight. You better hurry."

Misun rolled her eyes and looked over at Chaeryeong, who was playing with a loose string on her sleeve.

"I'm not freaking out, okay? It's just if my father finds your sword, you're as good as dead. And he has your mask," she explained to him, making him immediately turn around.