14

Working on watering the plants in our yard, my emotional breakdown had been healed. Eve seemed to flip on a switch in my body like night and day. I told myself I would forget about those feelings building up whenever I thought about the reality of our relationship. What would be the point in facing them anyway when there was nothing I could do to change the situation?

My mom had told me to water the plants, which was actually something I was thankful for. It cleared my mind and only the sound of the hose could fill my ears. But, all tranquilities came to end eventually and my was ended by the slam of a door.

At Eve's neighboring house her mom had stormed out. Irritation was planted all over her red face. Behind her came Eve's dad shouting words and phrases I couldn't understand. I could tell it was all pure anger, awakening a sudden feeling of dread inside me that I always had when parents got mad. I was being dramatic, though, because I knew all my feelings were nothing compared to how Eve was feeling. 

I tiptoed over the fence separating our houses to make my way to where Eve's bedroom window was. Comforting Eve was my first reaction and I knew if this situation was the other way around, she would do the same for me. 

Eve was in her room on her bed. She was staring up at the ceiling with earbuds in her ears. I knocked gently on the window. I had to knock a few times to wake her off her music trance she seemed to be in. She flinched, looking to the window and beginning to rip out her earbuds. There wasn't a huge grin on her face, probably because she knew why I was here. But there was still a small smile that she always had.

"Hey, Lena," Eve said, opening up the window and inviting me to climb in. Her room was small and messy. A few clothes were scattered on the ground and posters hung up on the wall; mostly band posters and movie posters.

"Sorry if this is a bad time," I said furrowing my eyebrows.

She shook her head, waving her hand and trying to drown out the muffled talking of her parents, "It's not. I just hope you know it's nothing you have to burden yourself with."

Eve and I sat down on her bed together, "This isn't a burden, Eve. I'm supposed to care for you just the same way you always do for me."

A smile formed at her mouth but her eyebrows were still tilted up in concern. And eventually she sighed in a defeated manor, looking down to her folded hands in her lap. "They're like this because our family is struggling right now. The crabs this year won't be enough to keep my family supported."

"It's been really hard ever since my mom lost her job. My dad has been working so much yet it's still not enough to pay for all of our bills. We used to be in debt for a while after my older sister got injured," Eve still couldn't meet my eyes and I could tell it was a topic she rarely talked about with others. I'm sure Milo or Tanner knew, though. Maybe just that it hadn't gotten so bad. 

Eve continued, "We weren't insured so the hospital bills were so expensive. We're caught up now and my sister's moved out; but it's been so hard catching up again. The crabs for the festival are the last option we were relying on. Either that or my mom finding a job."

"So what happens now then since neither options were something that could back you up?" I asked.

Eve then met my eyes and I finally saw her face without a hint of happiness, "I'll be moving to live with my aunt. We may all be."

Just at those few words, my heart was already sinking straight to my stomach. It created an aching feeling in my gut. "Moving away? But-"

Eve was quick to put a hand on mine, already reassuring me when I should've been reassuring her, "It's not finalized yet. That's what my parents have been discussing."

I pursed my lips, trying to hold in the emotional breakdown deep inside me before I got back home. There were so many thoughts just waiting to race in my head about the future with Eve gone. But I had to brush it aside. It was silly thinking about my life only relying on her. I just wished she could feel safe to rely on me now.

"Thanks for sharing that all with me. It sounds really tough. What you've been through," I comented, looking down, "I guess I never really wondered anything since you always seem to have a smile on your face."

She shrugged, "Like I told you, Lena. Where's the point in dreading it when you can do nothing about it? I'd rather try to stay positive."

I sighed for a moment, trying to search into Eve's deep eyes for any truth now in how she felt, but I seemed to find nothing except just a few reflections from the light.

"It's okay, though. It's okay to feel sad sometimes."

Eve nodded, breaking our gaze, "Yeah. I know."

The both of us became silent. Something I regretted when the voices from outside became a lot more audible. It was the first time I was with Eve and everything around me wasn't muffled. Maybe it was because for the first time she wasn't lighting up the mood and entrancing me with her smile. This time, I was a lot more aware of her reality.