16

"My parents think it's best if we leave. All of our hopes just didn't come true."

I understood. I had expected to not be surprised when the news hit me since I had already been preparing myself for this moment. But it was embarrassing when I couldn't help but cry. And it was the first time I've seen Eve cry too. She was telling this to the three of us. Tanner, Milo, and I. And some jealous, selfish, horrible part of me hated that she was crying because she'd have to leave everyone and this town. When I was with her, I usually forgot we weren't the only two people on Earth.

"You'll come back, right? After everything becomes a lot easier?" Tanner asked.

Eve nodded, pushing down the sobs ready to escape from her mouth. She wiped away her tears quickly and that's when I realized why she hated becoming sad around others. She was so strong and so proud, building up these walls of another outgoing and caring person. "I'll come back. And I won't be that far, just a few hours. Not even a plane flight worth your while. So you can come visit me in the meantime." Eve laughed through her pain, "It's supposed to be a lot cooler up north too."

Even through her reassurance, I new the truth behind my situation now. Because these words from her lips only applied to Tanner and Milo. They didn't apply to me.

"I think... I'll be gone by the time you come back," I spoke softly, trying not to let my emotions go too fast. "As you know, my dad's in the coast guard. By the time school comes around, I'll be gone." And I knew this from the very beginning. I knew our time here in Florida would be shorter than most. Just something for the summer. And I cursed my family for this. I'd do anything to stay just months longer. 

I knew that wasn't wise. I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye twice. Not to the girl I fell in love with. And that made me so, so sad.