Chapter 11

"You're late"

Her mother said to her in a cold tone as her daughter was coming home from enjoying time with her friends. She was towering over her with her hands clasped together, in her daughter's eyes she looked absolutely terrifying.

"I'm sorry mom, I was just out with Michel-" Esmeralda spoke in a hushed tone, looking at the ground hoping it would swallow her whole at this moment.

"Where did you go Esmeralda?" her mom voiced out with sternness.

"I-I was in the...marketplace?" she hesitated, knowing her mom wouldn't like that. Her mother used her full name, she never calls her by that.

"It's dangerous there, you know that" her mom lectured her while her expression looked disappointed.

"Yes but I'm right here, I'm safe" she reassured her mom with a hopeful smile that she can understand her daughter.

"What are your new friends doing to you? This never happened before" her mom uttered, looking away from her.

"They didn't do anything wrong, don't bring them into this" she stated, starting to get angry.

"You're the one who transferred me there!" she accidentally raised her voice at her mom. She didn't want to say that.

"You're the one who decided to transfer!" Her mom shouted back at her. Hurt was on her mom's face, proving that she wanted her to stay at Alastair. She would've let her stay at Alastair even if they had to spend more.

She gulped and her eyes began to stagger, knowing her mom was right. It struck a nerve in her. She almost burst into tears, her mother almost did too.

"I guess sacrificing your already planned future for the sake of your friends is such a crime," she thought, frowning but who was she kidding, she doesn't know if backing out actually helped.

"Please Era all I'm asking you is to inform me" her mom spoke trying to lighten up the atmosphere.

"We were so worried," her mom said in a soft manner, looking directly at her. Her daughter avoided her mother's eyes.

"I know, I'm sorry..." she admitted then went upstairs with her shoulders in a slump and her head down.

She knew this would happen but she still chose to go and risk it. She went with the flow of events. She sat down on the bed, her hands covering her face, and sighed.

She tried to do something she would have never done. It wasn't the fault of her mother or her friends. It was hers. She smirked at herself.

This was the reason why she hates difference. Maybe she isn't just suitable for change.

She was catching up, she was trying to but what was she supposed to do if one side of her life wanted her to change and the other wanted her to stay the same.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

August 18, Tuesday

"Too good to be true"

Esmeralda whispered while walking on her way to their classroom. She didn't have the courage to go online last night, she wanted to keep it to herself for a bit. She figured no one would really be worried about her, she didn't like talking to people every day anyways.

She still has to though, she learned that the hard way she thought, remembering something which made her shiver.

Thankfully, they didn't have much school work to do. She was surprised at first but decided to not say anything against it and besides, she liked it.