Chapter 21

"Enjoy your time with your friends! Text me when you get there"

Esmeralda felt the rejuvenating warmth through the screen that Xerxes was showing. They aren't together right now but she can still feel his affection.

She's excited for this day, she's glad that he's supporting her.

The day finally came. They haven't been in heavy worded fights recently. Of course, they had small arguments about leaving the other person on delivered, falling asleep while chatting, her dark humor, etc. but they were fine.

Everything went by fast, maybe it's because this time she had something to look forward to in her free time. All of her friendships are stronger than ever except one but she didn't want to ruin her day by overthinking that one.

She didn't even notice that all she kept on talking about was her reunion with her Alastair friends, she couldn't help but chat about that since it's happening soon.

She glanced outside of the window in the taxi she's riding in and as usual, it looked dull. It was broad daylight so she could see the smoke be more noticeable, she coughed at the sight of it. Her asthmatic tendencies were showing even though she didn't breathe anything in.

Their friend group decided to meet inside a mall, it's the same place they always hang out in when they just decided to go out during the weekend.

Esmeralda doesn't go out at all, feeling suffocated in crowds. Sometimes, it even got to the point that she wouldn't attend group projects or immediately say that her mom didn't allow her to go out even if she didn't even ask for her permission in the first place. She still liked exploring places despite that though, it just depends on her mood.

Her eyes wandered around the place, it didn't look any different from the last time she went here. She smiled, nothing changed.

But as she walked even further into the place to find where they sell all their favorite ice creams, it wasn't there where it was last seen. It was replaced by a giant tarpaulin saying that this was vacant and ready to be rented.

She smiled fondly thinking of the memories made from that place but her face went gloomy when she realized that all the secrets told and laughter expressed there were gone.

She thought nothing changed because she only looked at it through her naked eyes but when she looked closely, there were changes.

Changes she didn't even know existed.

Maybe it's her brain playing with her yet again but this reminded her of herself.

She shook her head and headed to the food court they were to meet up in since it was close to the back entrance which was near where the public transportations parked. It's for convenience purposes.

She was walking faster to reach the place already but her steps slowed when her eyes trailed a bookstore. Her fingers touched the glass with amazement. She probably would buy a book after their reunion but then she remembered her mom prohibited her from going home with a new book to read in her hand.

She grimaced at her memory and sighed, peeling her gaze from the bookstore. She knew she had too many books but at least she wasn't doing drugs, her hobby is perfectly normal to be allowed.

Maybe she'll just come back later to see what books she can add to her reading list.

Her vision wasn't damaged in any form so when she saw a group of girls talking in the distance around the table while sitting, she knew it was her friends. Also, they've spent their junior high school lives together. She'd like to think that she will know them instantly when she sees them, even from a distance.