Chapter 19

A few days later was Christmas Eve. But everyone, instead of wrapping presents for their loved ones, was desperately hoping they weren't dead. They couldn't even hang a wreath on the front door, since Henry said they were only to go outside if it was absolutely necessary.
Instead, they all sat in the living room watching Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas (at Tim's request) but they took in very little of what was happening on the TV.
Gradually, everyone went back to their rooms to sleep. Not because they were tired, but to get their minds off of everything. And, in some cases, because being around everyone and trying to seem at least somewhat okay was exhausting. First was Emma, then Alice, then Bill, then Ethan, Lex and Hannah, Then Tom, Becky and Tim.
Soon, only Ted and Henry were left. Ted's hand slowly edged closer and closer to Henry's until their fingers were interlocked. They both kept their eyes on the TV, too scared to look at one another.
After about ten minutes, Ted finally said, "We're alone. Nobody's gonna be coming back down here."
"You're right."
They both turned to one another, but Ted's smile dropped when he saw the hesitancy in Henry's eyes.
"Are you all right, Henry?"
"What? Um, I'm fine. I'm..."
"Are you sure?"
"It's just... Christmas can be a little..." he looked away from Ted slightly, as if staring into his own thoughts "It was his favourite holiday."
"Who's?"
"Chad's."
"Chad... As in, the character you created?"
"He's not just a character. He was real. He was real and I loved him." Henry wiped a tear from under his eye, looking back to Ted.
"That's why you didn't know how to end the story in the script."
Henry nodded. "I want to give it a happy ending. But Chad didn't really get that. Well, he had an ending. Just not a happy one..."
"What happened?" Ted asked cautiously.
"Diving accident."
"Huh?"
"He was diving and he realised too late that his oxygen tank had been nearly empty."
"Oh."
"It was a long time ago. But Christmas is always tough."
"I get that."
Henry shook his head as if trying to clear it and wiped away more tears. "We need to get the others."
"What?"
"We're going tonight. We are going to get Paul and Tony and Deb. There's no way I'm letting them spend Christmas without their loved ones if it can be avoided."
"How are we gonna do it?"
"You're gonna go now and check that everyone is asleep and I'm gonna get a bag packed with everything we need."
Ted nodded. "Are you gonna be okay?"
"I'll just have to be."

~

(A/N: I'm probably gonna be posting a lot tonight. I have been writing far too much today)