1 // In The Dark

Nick Fury stands in a SHIELD analytical room. He's talking with members of the World Security Council. They're arguing about the assemblance of the Avengers Initiative.

"This is out of line, Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control," Councilman Malick says.

"You ever been in war, Councilman? In a firefight? Did you feel an overabundances of control?" Fury asks rhetorically.

"You saying that this Asgard has declared war on our planet?" the councilman questions.

"Not Asgard, Loki," Fury corrects.

"He can't be working alone. What about the other one? His brother," it's Councilwoman Hawley that asks this time.

"Our intelligence says Thor is not a hostile. But he's worlds away, we can't depend on him to help. It's up to us," Fury answers.

"Which is why you should be focusing on Phase 2, it was designed for exactly..." Malick is cut off.

"Phase 2 isn't ready, our enemy is. We need a response team."

"The Avengers Initiative was shut down."

"This isn't about the Avengers."

"We've seen the list. You're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're going to leave the fate of human race to a handful of freaks."

"I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe with the right push they can be exactly what we need."

"You believe?" Hawley taunts.

"War isn't won by sentiment, Director," Malick agrees.

"No, it's won by soldiers," Fury butts in.

"Not all of these people are soldiers. As Councilman Malick said, we've seen the list. We see that you've added the Shadow Walker to the list," Hawley interjects, "Are you sure she can be trusted? When have we ever been sure where her loyalties lie?"

"The Shadow Walker is our best bet against Loki. Not only is she about as old as he is, but her powers have so far been unmatched. She asked to be notified if the Asgardians came back, do you really want to piss her off?" Fury questions before closing down the projections and leaving the room.

Fury gets to the bridge and finds out how his plan to gather the team he's devised is going. He is informed that Agent Coulson is gone to gather Stark, and to that Romanoff is currently with Banner. He decides to ask Rogers to join them himself. It's then that he locates Agent Hill.

"Agent Hill, I need you to call her in," Fury orders.

"You want me to get the Shadow Walker? The ghost? Is that a good idea?" Hill disputes.

"She is not only our front runner on even touching Loki, but she demanded to be notified when he showed up. She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table, and you know it."

"Can we trust her?"

"This is not a matter of trust, but a matter of need. She's done too much for us to question her loyalties now."

Agent Hill sighs before speaking again, "All right, I guess I have to go make a phone call."

*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*

"What is all this?" Pepper Potts asks as Tony Stark is examining a tablet presented to him by Agent Coulson.

Tony expands the screen into several holograms and suddenly the pair are looking at the footage and files of the others in the Avengers Initiative.