day 2

7:31 Wednesday May 8

i walked up the stairs of the bus again, and noticed the same boy from yesterday. he looked different than yesterday, but with my quick glance i could not see what was the change. i sat in the same seat as before, and sat until we made it to the school. the boy quickly sat up and got off the bus, and without knowing, i was doing the same thing. i walked behind him, a few people between us as we walked into the school. he did not stop walking until he made it to the doors and he let a girl walk in before him as he held the door open. i watched the girl thank him, and i heard a small welcome come out of his mouth but he did not smile at her. after that he went on his way, and i lost him in the crowd of the many people that i had no care in the world for.

"Claire? where are you going? you're going to be late for first block!" i stopped in my tracks, and turned around to be face to face with erin. erin and i have been friends since second grade and she is pretty much the only person i ever talk to. i started walking with her to our first class of the day and groaned.

"Erin seriously? could you not see that i was doing something?" she turned her head at me with humor and laughed. she brushed her hair behind her ear and apologized for getting me all fucked up in her words. to me, that made no sense. at all.

-

They day dragged on and it was time to go home. i made my way to the bus, and the bus driver shook her head at me getting on and under her breath i could hear her talking about how she had to drive seniors around in a bus when they had a licence. i rolled my eyes at her and sat in the seat in front of where i had sat the other times i rode the bus. in a matter of seconds, the bus filled with all of the same kids from that morning. one of the last people to arrive, was the boy that's name i still had not heard. he looked at his normal seat, and he noticed that it was not empty, one of the many cons of getting to the bus late, and he then noticed there was no other open spot on the bus where he could sit alone. i could see the disappointment on his face as the people he walked by were not allowing him to sit with them, and when he walked by me i got the courage to move my bag to my lap and tell him he could sit by me, if he wanted. he looked around at the other people around us and nodded his head and sat next to me.

Stragglers that were late to the bus hurried on and he had to move in closer, so they could walk by our seat. his leg brushed mine and i felt electricity spread through where we were touching. the bus doors closed and the last of the people entering the bus sat in their seats. he moved over in the seat, this time away from me so we were not touching. he looked at me and i saw his lips move into a small smile and he mumbled a small sorry to me and looked down at my bag.

"its fine," i told him and let a small laugh out, "the bus is really full today, isn't it?" i said to him. making conversation with people usually was not very hard for me, but the only thing i could talk about with this boy was the bus. that's the only thing for sure that i know we have in common. he nodded his head again, and brought his hand up to a denim hat he had on his headand took it off, then put it back on. when he took off his hat i could not help but notice the large mass of hair on his head. as he stared forward on the bus, he started to talk.

"yeah, it seems like a lot more people have been riding it lately," he said. i nodded my head, at him and he looked back at me, and he continued to say how he had never seen me on the bus until a few days ago.

so he had noticed me.

i smiled and looked down at my hands that were on my lap. "yeah, my parents took my car away and told me i had to ride the bus for the rest of the year," i told him and swallowed. "why did they do that?" he asked me. i looked at him with confusion, and told him that it was a really long story. again, a small smile formed on his face and he told me quietly, "we have a little time." i began to tell him the story, but then the bus stopped, and i looked out the window and i had to get off. "its my stop," i said to him and i watched him stand up into the isle and let me out of the seat.

"Alright well, ill see you around," i knew he was going to say my name, but i realized i had not told him. "Claire," I said to him and smiled.

"Claire," he said back to me, "ill see you around Claire," i heard him say as i got off the bus.

That's the day it happened.