day 3

7:32 Thursday May 9

My tired eyes slowly opened and closed as i walk to the opening bus doors. last night i could not fall asleep, because a certain smile was haunting my mind. i walked onto the bus, and looked around the bus to see that it again, was full. walking down the isle to the seat i call mine after a few days of sitting there, i noticed that the boy with brown hair and the smile that was stuck in my mind all night, was sitting there. his eyes looked up at me, and i smiled at him. i asked if i could sit with him, and he shook his head and said, "yeah, yeah, of course," with a small smile on his face. the smile that has been on my mind for the many hours since i saw him last.

"Sorry i took your seat, those girls are sitting in mine again," he pointed over to where he sat the first day i rode the bus, and indeed two girls were sitting in the seat. i nodded my head in amusement of how he pointed it out to me, and turned my head and said, "what a shame," then glanced away and noticed that a small laugh escaped from him. "indeed it is," he replied. we sat in silence until we were almost at the school, but it did not seem awkward to me. i do not even know this boys name, but i feel so comfortable beside him. realizing that i still had no idea what his name was, i asked him.

"So, you know my name, whats yours?" his eyebrows raised at my sudden interest in his name, and he opened his mouth to reply, but someone in the back of the bus spoke above him.

"Whats this?" the voice said. i turned my head to where it came from and saw someone i never wanted to talk to again, "is this bitch trying to steal you away from me baby?" he said to me, and grabbed my hand. i grabbed my hand away from him and looked away, disgusted.

"Do not call me that," i said to him. he replied, but i did not listen to what he said. Randy disgusted me. i could feel him moving the hair away from my ear, and i felt his breath on my neck, "whatever baby, ill see you later," he whispered in my ear, then he went back to his seat. i moved away from the isle and brushed my hair back to where it had been before. i could feel tears prickling my eyes as the memories from what happened replayed in my head. i took a deep breath, and leaned onto the seat. i warm hand touched my leg and i had the same feeling run through me from yesterday. i had forgotten he was there.

"Are you alright?" he softly asked me and rubbed my leg. i sniffled, and whipped under my eyes before sitting up straight again and faced him. his brown eyes stared at me waiting for me to answer, but i could not speak. i shook my head up and down and looked to the front of the bus. we were almost at the school. his hand rubbed my leg again, then he moved it away and i felt cold. i looked at him, and he ran his tongue across his lips and glanced out the window for a second. he must of felt my eyes on him, and he moved his gaze to his hands on his lap.

"My name is Michael, by the way," he quietly told me and turned his body towards me again, "and i don't care who the fuck that guy was, but if he touches you again, it'll be the end of him." he said in a serious voice, "you looked so hurt when he was talking to you. Claire, i never want him to talk to you again," he finished telling me just as the bus stopped, and the kids began to get off the bus.

-

The day dragged on and got better after Michael had talked to me. the way his lips moved when he talked, and how serious he was when he said what he said about randy made my heart flutter whenever i thought about it. how could someone i just met be saying something like that to me? on my way to lunch, i stopped by erins classroom so i could walk to lunch with her. we have always wait at each others classrooms when we have the chance. it has become our thing. soon the bell rang and erin was one of the firsts out of the room.

"What the hell claire how do you get out of class so early?" she raised her hands in the air in protest. i laughed, and we began walking down the hallway to the lunchroom, "i have a study hall dumbo," i called her by her old nickname i use to call her when we first met. she stopped walking, and the people walking behind us rolled their eyes at her and pushed her out of the way, "do not call me that," she said in a monotone voice, then kept walking beside me.