Chapter 20

Julian's excited shouting had awoken all the other ghosts in the house. Lila and Thomas had tried to quiet him down, but it was no use. Over 25 years of near sobriety and Julian had missed every minute; he felt as though he had won the lottery.

"Whatever is going on?" Pat questioned, standing in the doorway, his brow furrowed. Lila and Thomas, both with reddened faces, giggled while trying to shush the politician who was almost jumping up and down with elation.

"Pat, I think we need to call a meeting," Thomas grinned.

"Why is there a meeting past lights out? This is completely unacceptable! What the bally hell is going on?" The Captain glared, his face red; if he was tired for his morning run, he would have no chance of beating his record.

"Cap, I have good news, we decided that we didn't want to hide it from any of you." Lila grinned at Thomas who was swaying a little. "Well, I was with Thomas... we were having a chat. He mentioned something that Julian had said..."

"We can drink! We can all drink!" Julian interrupted, frustrated at how long Lila was taking to get her words out.

"Oh gosh, how exciting!" Kitty cried.

Julian prized the flask out of Lila's hand, taking long gulps. "I've missed you," he whispered to himself, hugging the flask close to his chest.

"My turn, Julian! My turn please!" Kitty pleaded. "Lila, he's not giving it to me!" Julian was necking as much as he could and waited for the flask to refill.

"Come on, that's enough. Give everyone else some or I'll move on, so nobody can have any."

"Ugh, fine!"

Lila was persuading the Captain and Fanny to dance and join in with the party. Mary and Robin were dancing together, as were Pat and Kitty.

"Are you seriously going to go back to bed? You know you won't sleep with the music and you haven't had a drink in so long, you deserve it! Please, I've been so unhappy recently, what with being dead and all, this will really cheer me up."

"Alright! You win, but just so you know, it was only because you were so tiresome, moping about the house all day. It really brought down my mood!"

"I can't believe you, Fanny! I am utterly disappointed. I'm going to have to sleep in the garden."

"It's a shame you're too tired to party with the big boys," Lila laughed. "Or maybe you just can't handle your drink!"

The Captain seized the flask from Fanny's hand. "Can't handle my drink, eh? I'll show you!"

"Wahey!" Pat called out.

"Maybe you aren't as uptight as I thought!" Lila exclaimed.

"Well, maybe I'm not!"

"Please, Julian. I would be able to dance with Lila. She requested that I ask you to play it," Thomas was stood next to Julian, exasperated. "She said that it reminds her of me..."

"Fine! But no more requests, my finger's getting crampy. Anyway, I know that you two have a bit of a thing going on, but we're all dead, we're all lonely. Isn't it sort of my turn?"

"Excuse, me she is a lady," Thomas gasped.

"Well, you know what they say, a lady in the streets, a freak in the sheets!" Julian laughed while Thomas glared at him in disbelief. "Ménage a trois? I'm joking, I'm joking, jeez."

"Julian, I did it! Fanny and Cap are drinking. Doesn't that mean you owe me a tenner?"

"Hey now, verbal agreements are non-binding. Seriously does nobody here know contract law?"

'This Charming Man' by the Smiths began playing from the speakers. "Oh my god, I love this song! Thomas come on, I believe you promised me a dance."