Chapter 9

Kitty stuck her head through the wall to see Lila and Thomas standing, their faces inches apart. "Lila?" They pulled away from each other, and Thomas looked away from Kitty so that she couldn't see how much he was blushing.

"Oh, hi Kitty. How can I help you?" Lila ran her fingers through her hair and looked at the floor.

"I was wondering if I could sleep in your room tonight?" she asked, looking at Thomas suspiciously.

Lila looked at Thomas over her shoulder, "Yeah, sure. Do you want to watch a film? Go and have a look downstairs, I'll be down in a minute." Kitty turned and skipped through the door, singing to herself.

"I'm sorry, Thomas, but I can't say no to her when I'm letting you stay here. If Lady Button heard I let you stay and not Kitty, I don't think she'd ever talk to me."

"I understand, my dear," he sighed.

Lila left to go and find Kitty, leaving Thomas looking out at the stars. He had never missed being alive this much. He just wanted to be able to kiss Lila. He wanted to take her hand in his and tell her that he would keep her safe. He wanted to be able to protect her from James and take revenge for what he had done.

"What was Thomas doing in your room so late at night? Are you in love?" Kitty had started swinging her arms around, excited at the prospect of romance in Button House.

"Hang on a second, we barely know each other! Besides, I'm with James."

"But James is horrible!"

"Yes, but he's the one who owns the house, I have to be with him to stay in this house. I haven't got any choice." Lila lowered her voice to make sure that James couldn't hear her, she didn't want him to get upset again. "If there was another way, maybe I could see where things would go with Thomas."

Kitty looked upset, "I'm sure you'll find a way to get away from James. Can we watch this?"

Lila put 'Titanic' on and joined Thomas on the bed. "Are you okay?" she whispered, just out of earshot of Kitty who was sat, cross-legged, on the floor in front of them.

"Of course," he smiled, moving closer to her. In truth, he had never felt so pained. He had once thought that his unrequited love for Alison was the hardest thing that he had to go through, but it was nothing when he thought of how helpless he was. He couldn't keep Lila safe, and she seemed to have feelings for him, which only made it all harder for him to bear.

As the film went on, he found himself moving his hand towards Lila's thigh. She noticed, mouthing 'what are you doing?'.

"Do you want me to stop?" he asked, his voice hushed but Gravelly, Kitty was too engrossed in the film to notice them. Lila shook her head. He squeezed his eyes shut; her leg felt like fire, and a deep nauseating feeling began to grow in the pit of Thomas' stomach. He knew that this was the closest he could get to touching her, even though it hurt, he knew that the pain came from Lila. He pulled away after a few seconds, the waves of agony becoming too much for him, but he did feel a little better.

"Oh, isn't Jack handsome!" Kitty exclaimed, pulling Lila's focus back to the film. "He's so much nicer than Rose's fiancé!" Kitty turned to look at Thomas, grinning and giving him a small wink.

"I'm just going to go and get some water," Lila said, getting up from her bed.

She paced up and down through the corridors thinking to herself. What was she doing with Thomas? She felt so cruel, as though she was leading him on. After all it could never work, could it? Even if she found a way to escape James, she would have to be able to visit the house to see Thomas. She had to talk to him properly talk to him, and apologise for getting his hopes up; the only way that she could be with him was if she died, and then what if it didn't work out?

"What's wrong?" a voice called from behind her, she turned to face Pat, rubbing his eyes beneath his glasses.

"I don't know if I love James," she started. "I think I might have caught feelings for someone else."

"Woah woah, slow down. Let's go downstairs and discuss this over a hot chocolate," Pat suggested, calmly.

A pair of eyes glinted with outrage and disbelief as they watched her disappear down the stairs. James stood in the doorway, his knuckles white from clenching his fist. She couldn't disrespect him like this. He wouldn't let her.