31

Many months later...
"HANGA ROA," unmarked territory

"Princess... are you okay?"

Jennie moved her eyes away from the fire and fixed onto Kai who was sitting next to her. All she could see was James.

"Are you cold?" he asked and held her hands gently.

They were as cold as ice compared to the hands of Kai so he scooted closer to her to keep her warm. If she weren't so tired and distressed, Jennie would've pulled her hands away but something about Kai made him feel like James and Jennie wanted to hold on for longer.

"I miss him too—James. I miss all of my siblings," Kai said as he looked ahead. "I know I may not be much more of a help as my own Kingdom cannot be trusted, but please let me know if you need anything."

It's already been a few months since they escaped from the cave, and the Kung Empire continues their war against the Evrena of the former Auvern Empire. Only recently did Kai receive any information on the Korean Empire which was now completely split in the middle. It was the north against the south, and the civil war was raging with the Kung Empire supporting the south and Evrena controlling the north.

With all this war going on, Kai was forced out of his engagement. The Kung Empire was already beginning to corrupt under King Taeyong's now merciless rule and the King wanted to make sure Kai, the only heir, wouldn't get the thrown. The King can't murder his own son, of course, but there will be no future for Kai as the Crown unless he takes it himself.

Jennie was still staring at Kai and his look of disembodiment. He turned to face her too and the two of them held eye contact. She suddenly remembered the day her and her mother, Queen Jisoo, were choosing a suitor. She remembered the original choice... him.

"I may not be my brother," Kai began, "And I may not be able to make you feel the same way but you should know... I chose you as my future Queen as well, Princess Jennie."

Jennie couldn't hold the eye contact for any longer after that last sentence but as she stared at his hand holding hers, she didn't want to respond. Thinking about it, this was the longest that Jennie hasn't spoken because it was difficult for her to get words out.

"I accepted my King's decision, as did James, but the truth is, I had hoped to marry you one day. My brothers never knew the real reason for my interest in your relationship with the Auvern Empire, but it's because I planned to marry you and do my best to protect you from any foreign backlash that may arise."

Everything Kai was saying began to sound like they were said with James' voice and Jennie found herself holding back her emotion. She looked at Kai again but all she could think of was... him—James.

Soon, she lifted her hands and held his face. The warmth of his skin felt so familiar. And even though Kai's hair was much straighter than James' hair, the little strand that fell onto Kai's forehead was a reminder of James as well. It was now that she had a regret from when she was with James... She never got to kiss him.

Jennie took her hands away and they stared into each other's eyes, communicating their own mounting sadness to one another. After all, both had lost their families.

On the spur of the moment, Kai leaned down slowly, wanting to kiss her, but Jennie turned her cheek. Seeing her reaction, he moved away with an uncomfortable cough.

"My apologies... That was inappropriate. Please forgive me, Princess."

Jennie wanted to respond but thought better of it. There was no need to make things more uncomfortable. Instead, she gave an awkward smile and sat a bit farther from him.