19

SEOUL, Korean Empire

"There is no reason other than my own curiosity, so if you do not wish to share..." James trailed off. This was the first time he had ever hesitated to speak to her.

Jennie thought for a moment then turned to him.

"... Why are you suddenly bringing this up?" she asked with a general tone.

James bit his lip nervously then stood up.

"I shouldn't have asked. It's none of my business.. I apologize, my love," he said with a bow.

"No, wait," Jennie said and stood up.

Even with the uncomfortable conversation, James didn't think twice to help Jennie stand up.

"Did you hear something about my past with the Auvern Prince? If so, tell me their name—for future reference," Jennie shrugged. Her voice was cold but calm with a hint of danger.

She crossed her arms and stood as tall as her good ankle let her.

"My love, I know nothing of your past nor do I know anyone from your past. But for the sake of our relationship, I only wish to know a little more about you."

Jennie took a deep breath, remembering every aspect of her relationship with the Auvern Prince, then used James' help to get to her room door. It was a complicated past and Jennie tried her hardest to forget it—and had succeeded in forgetting most of its main event—therefore bringing it up again will only do harm on her part.

"I don't want to share that part of me with you. If you wish to learn more about me, ask somebody else," she said then opened the door. "Lilith is down the hall. My mother should be in the ballroom. Suit yourself."

James closed the door after getting Jennie's monster grip off of its doorknob.

"I'd rather hear it from you, my love. I know you won't lie to me-"

"But how do you know? Why are you always so sure about me in that way?" she interrupted.

"I just thought-"

"Jaehyun, you should realize how naive you are. How are you always so trusting and loyal to anyone you meet because of the feeling in your heart? This is the real world... people aren't afraid of a little blood if you hand them a knife."

James wore a hurt look on his face—as if he had the sad eyes of a puppy—and Jennie began to question if she was too harsh with her words. She knew James had the innocence of a baby due to his big heart.

"Jaehyun... just go and enjoy the party. You're going to be their future King, after all," Jennie said and opened the door again. "Enjoy the finer things in life."

She stared at him in silence while he avoided her eyes. She wanted to put a hand on his arm but stopped herself, and instead, open the door wider.

James looked at the ground as he said, "I'm not sure if you could tell, but it really does takes a lot of effort for me to trust someone. The people I surround myself with—I know them..." He looked at Jennie now and she began to regret having this conversation. "I apologize if my heart is too weak but it is what guides me to focus on the things that are important. I wish you'd understand."

James gave Jennie a quick kiss on the forehead before heading out of the room.

She didn't try to stop him.

Instead, she searched her room for the profiles from the day she chose a suitor. She finally found them tucked into the bottom shelf of her closet and pulled out James' file. She skipped ahead to the biography again.

"Prince James' personal guard, Sir Francis, was first appointed when James was 8 years old... The two were inseparable since then... Prince James would often be seen around the crowded areas of the village, helping elders, playing with children... He has helped many people prosper..." the sheet read.

Jennie continued to read about his many academic achievements but then she reached a paragraph that caught her full attention.

"As a boy, Prince James was always around his older sister, the future heir to the throne...."

"Older sister? But... what about Kai?"

Jennie kept reading, "Prince James was apart of every aspect in the Princess', but when the Princess humiliated the throne by wanting to marry a poor man, she was shunned by the entire Kung Empire and later took her own life in the fields of the Kung Palace, now seen as the Royal Garden...."

Jennie put the file down. A million questions ran through her mind about the Princess, and about James. After reading more about James' character from the profile, she saw how much he cared for other people and when the late Princess had passed, he must have lived painfully.

"Jaehyun... this world doesn't deserve you..."

---

The next morning, Queen Jisoo waited patiently for the arrival of her highly anticipated guest. She even had a new table to replace the one she drove a knife though. As she sat, she spun the knife on the table and took a deep breath.

"Your Majesty, Lalisa Manoban," a royal guard announced as Lisa waltzed into the Queen's study. The guard bowed before leaving the room and Lisa made her way to Queen Jisoo.

"Jisoo unnie!" Lisa squealed happily after making sure the guard closed the door behind her.

Lisa and Queen Jisoo hugged each other tightly, then took a seat next to one another.

"Thank you for coming on such short notice, but there's been a few inconveniences I wish to solve with your help," the Queen said and Lisa nodded.

"Like what?" Lisa asked as the two of them sat on the couch.

"The Auvern Empire and I have had a history with each other, as you know, but after I had to get rid of their ties with Jennie, things have been quite complicated..."

"I've been hearing rumours about Evrena Soldiers in the Kung Empire, and recently, here too. Is that what you wish to discuss?"

"Yes. But that isn't what I need your help with. I need you to cause a civil war in the Korean Empire," Queen Jisoo said and moved some things aside on the coffee table between in front of them.

Beneath the glass of the table was a map of the Korean Empire and Queen Jisoo was pointing to the northern kingdoms.

"After the fall of the Auvern Empire, rumours have been spreading like wildfire across my Empire. As Queen, it isn't good luck to speak of planning a war but I have no other choice. The Auvern Royals were spotted in this palace last night, the Auvern Prince even spoke to Prince James, but their encounter will only result in repercussions."

The Queen knew that no good could come from hearing that there was an interaction with an Auvern royal because a fallen Empire's only intention was an uprise in the collapse of another. She had a feeling that the Auvern Prince would try to poison the relationship with James and Jennie for the sake of bringing down the Korean Empire.

"And you want to bring your Empire down before Auvern has the chance to..." Lisa said and leaned back.

"Correct. And it must be now or never. My Jendeukie... could never be blamed for a war she never caused," Queen Jisoo said.

Since the war would be a civil war, between the northern kingdoms and the southern kingdoms, Princess Jennie won't be the cause for the Korean Empire's downfall when Auvern tries to invade. Now that Auvernian royals were already in the Korean Empire, that could be any day now.

Lisa gave the idea a thought then nodded. She scanned the map of the Korean Empire and dragged her finger from the North to the South, then looked at Queen Jisoo.

"Where should we start?" Lisa said with a sinister smirk.

•••