34

HANGA ROA, Former Auvern Empire

"Gzzk... no... Y-you're..." Jennie was desperately gasping for air, her head was becoming lighter, and her body became numb. Then she thought of as many names she could say to get James to remember who he was, "... Xavier... F-francis... z... aack... Zach..."

James let go of her neck and Jennie fell on her knees, holding her throat and coughing violently. She choked and coughed and James just watched her from above. By now, there was blood on her hands and the taste of iron settled on her tongue.

"Guuhh... When you're yourself again... I'm going to murder you..." Jennie huffed. Despite the fact that James had almost choked her to death, she felt more like herself again, at least with her remarks. With James, she felt whole.

Suddenly, James' mind went blank, then his heart began to ache as a tear escape his eye. His legs weakened and he, too, fell to the ground on his knees. He was crying and staring at the blood on Jennie's hands. She caught her breathe and crawled over to him slowly. He didn't move from his spot as she wrapped her arms around his body. She pulled him close and hugged him tightly.

James sniffled as he began to recall his memories. He was remembering who he was again because of Jennie, and he was remembering who she was.

"P-princess... I'm so sorry."

Jennie let out a breath of relief and snuggled into his arms that wrapped around her now. "It's okay, Jaehyun."

"I'm so sorry," he said softer this time and cried onto her shoulder.

"I know... And when you're better, I'll choke you back to make it even but there's no promise that I won't squeeze your neck until your head pops off."

James let out a weak laugh and the sound of it still made Jennie's heart flutter. She knew he was James and she was right all along.

James let go to help her off the ground then pulled her right back into an embrace with her head resting on his chest. Jennie closed her eyes to cherish this feeling and when she opened them again, she reached up to hold his face in her hands. She was gentle, holding him delicately as if he were as fragile as a flower.

Jennie smiled at him, then she pouted angrily and pushed his shoulder, "How could you forget me?! I made you the happiest man in the whole universe! Was that not enough, Kung Jaehyun?!"

James was shocked at first from the push but then his face quickly turned into childish grin. He held her face in his hands the same way she did to him and placed a kiss on her forehead, "I don't deserve you, Princess. I'm so happy that you care for me like this."

"I don't c-" Jennie stopped herself short because she only just realized that she cared about him but she didn't want to admit it. She huffed and looked away shyly, trying her best not to show it by crossing her arms over her chest. "That's right! You don't deserve me. You never listen to me and you keep running away. You even have the audacity to make my heartache constantly when I'm not with you. Hmph, some fiancé you make."

He laughed at her silliness. "My deepest apologies, Princess."

"No more apologies. I'm tired of those. Just hold me," she said and wrapped her arms around his body, sinking into the comfort of his chest.

James held her close and rubbed her back slowly. He was thankful to be with her again and he couldn't help but wonder if it was possible that they were destined for each other. After having his memories scrambled over and over, the only thing that cleared his mind was the thought of Jennie. Now that he was with her once more, he had to find a way to protect her from Evrena and the Auvern King.

"Wait... Princess, how did you get here?" James asked with a bit of panic. "You're not safe here. You must get to safety. If they find out, they'll-"

"I won't leave you, Jaehyun. You're supposed to stay by my side. You promised." Another promise that James will hold himself to.

"Princess..."

"I won't lose you again. And if they find me and kill me, you already said you would follow me to heaven yourself just like the story of Romeo and Juliet," Jennie argued, remembering what James said to her in Beijing when she was pretending to be asleep.

James was confused for a second but then he remembered that too and smiled at her, "So you were awake that day."

"Yes, I was. And I was also wide awake when I caught you with your mistress in a hot spring just like this one so don't you think for second that I've forgiven you for anything!" Jennie scolded with a quick tongue and emphasized her pointed finger at James, yet his smile only widened. "There you go again... Stop smiling at me! I like you better when you've gone rogue so your smile can't persuade me to forgive you."

James let out a gentle chuckle and Jennie wanted to stay mad but she couldn't. She found a smile threatening to form on her lips and she eventually gave in, smiling back at him. She sighed as she cradled James' cheek and brushed his curly strand away. She still couldn't believe he was alive and holding her in his arms, but she was beyond content. She also wondered how she heard the voice that guided her to him but standing there, in front of James, she called it fate.

And maybe it really was fate that brought them together again.

For the next little while, they stood there with their arms around one another, just looking into each other's eyes. It didn't feel like a moment had passed because all they wanted to do was memorize each other's features, to remember the loving look in their eyes, and enjoy the warm feeling of being together again. It was an indescribable feeling of happiness.

"Number 3! Are you still out here?" a man's voice echoed into the cave, interrupting their dream-like states.

James was struck with panic by the voice and looked to Jennie, "Oh... I'm sorry, Princess, but could you pretend to be unconscious?" he whispered, "If they find you in here, they'll surely kill you without a second thought."

Jennie couldn't tell if he was being serious until she saw the stare of intent in his eyes. It made her sigh in exhaustion, "Ah, but I'm tired... I tripped on a rock, fell into water and almost choked to death..."

"Number 3!" the voice called again. This time, it sounded impatient and louder as the speaker approached in stomping footsteps.

"I've got a hostage, sir! The almighty King would want to see this," James said in a rougher tone, one that Jennie wasn't used to at all.

He gave her a pleading looking and she pouted at him, "Fine. But don't you dare drop me..." she threatened. "And here, it'll be more believable that I tried to fight you with this."

She wiped the palms of her hands on his face and chest, marking it with the blood she coughed out from earlier. Then she pretended to have been passed out in his arms. There were bruises on her neck from James' attempted murder from before therefore their plan will surely seem plausible.

"Ha, the Princess... Good work, Number 3. Bring her to be interrogated with the other three."

"Actually, I was gonna throw her into the prison first. Interrogation can start when His Majesty is ready," James replied. Jennie tried her hardest not to show confusion at the way James was speaking. She had never heard him speaking with slang before and it was making her a little weirded.

"Hm, sounds fair... Get on it."

"Yes, sir."

•••
For reference, Jennie and James were in Beijing in chapter 11