- 36 -

The cool air brushing against my arm from the window was calming every nerve in my body. The afternoon sky was morphing from pinks and yellows to blues and purples. Caroline had insisted on taking me by Mr. Brady's shop today, but I wasn't up for it today. I needed to just go home.

The truth was I was worried about Dylan. Not seeing him at school was one thing. I understood him not wanting to come back today, but not hearing from him at all was surprising to me. I quickly pulled out my phone to send Dylan yet another text.

Me - Hey Dylan, I understand it's still a lot - take your time. Just wanted to check on you and see how you were.

I sigh, putting my phone back in my pocket and focused my gaze outside the window. From the corner of my eye, I could see Caroline looking at me. "What?" I asked, turning towards her. Her eyes were looking back at the road.

"Julia's funeral is gonna be this weekend." She said. I could hear the soft sadness in her voice as she said it. I sighed once again and shook my head. "I still can't believe it, Gwen." She said as I looked out my window.

"I can't either." I said so quiet I was sure she hadn't heard me.

"They better find the son of a bitch who did it to her." Caroline said with more anger in her tone this time. I nodded my head.

How could someone be so horrible?

The silence stood in the car for a few more minutes. Caroline drove and focused on the road as I stared out my window trying to keep my eyes open. We only had about six more minutes until we were at my house.

"Did Lia tell you her and Sasha are getting dinner with her mom tonight?" I asked, trying to find anyway not to fall asleep.

Caroline suddenly looked at me and shook her head. "Oh my god. No she didn't tell me." I nodded my head back to her. "Why is she doing that?" Caroline asked with a look of disgusted.

"Her mom's trying I guess. Trying to make amends." I said, "Lia said she wasn't going to go with her unless Sasha was invited as well."

Caroline chuckled, "Good for her. Her mom needs a reality check." She said shaking her head. I nodded my head back at her.

"So what are your plans the rest of the night?" She asked, looking back over at me.

I thought about it for a moment before responding, "Sleep." I said with a playful smile.

"Well I'm asking you seriously, and if you are being serious, that will ruin your sleep schedule." She said giving me a glare.

"I don't know, I'll probably just chill by myself for a while."

"Is mom gonna be home?"

"Around nine, luckily she didn't have to take the night shift tonight. She wanted to be home." I said, fidgeting with my fingers.

"So you're gonna be home when I drop you off?" She asked, and I nodded my head. "Well maybe we should call Andrew, and I'll stay with you until he gets to your house."

"Caroline, I'll be fi-"

"You realize there's a killer on the loose, and you happen to be getting weird texts at the same time, right?" She said bitterly. Before I could say anything else she continued, "So I think it's best for you and for everyone around you that loves your stupid ass for you to have someone watching over you. We aren't paying him for nothing." She snapped. I looked over at her quickly with shocked eyes.

"Caroline, I-"

"No no you're so right, fuck, that was harsh." She said sighing loudly. "I didn't mean to sound so aggressive. I just wasn't thinking."