pov: Enji never liked your sense of humor

genre: fluff/angst

disclaimer: I do not condone nor glamorize abuse. This is written for fiction's sake and the only intent is to entertain. This part does not contain the abuse but since this is part of the series I'm gonna keep putting the disclaimer. If you are in an abusive relationship, please leave. It will not get better.

advisement: please listen to the song linked above for full reading immersion. do not cheat yourself of a good reading experience.
---

And I am feeling so small

"Tuesday, evening. Gaspipe leak leads to explosion at Tsukuba Circuit, suspected hideout of villains where Shin Nemoto was last sighted. The fire started just before 8:00 pm and Frost Hero: Endure was among those who responded to the blaze. Endure did what she was trained to do. She was later found unresponsive–"

Enji tried to retrace the events of that day, it was all hazy but he remembers kissing your hair when he leaves before dawn. And how he dropped by Touya's room, of course it was locked, Touya's a teenage boy; and then his little girl's room, Fuyumi, not so little anymore when he gazes upon her study table full of post-it notes and organization charts; and lastly, Natsuo, sprawled out on his bed and Enji moved him a bit to the center of the bed because Natsuo was close to the edge. He picks up the toys and gathers them on the basket.

He tried to find something different that day... Anything. A premonition. Gut feeling. Something that could've been a sign. But that day started the same as usual. His steps were light and the sky was clear. The wretchedness he feels towards All Might was present but not as consuming.

He receives a text. It was from you.
Take care. See you later.

Still. It was the same as any other day. He was supposed to come meet up with you after work, and go home to the kids at the door, his eldest pestering him for training.

His phone rang.

"Hello. Am I speaking to Mr. Todoroki Enji? This is Dr. Nakamaru from Musutafu hospital."

That was the moment he felt a sense of foreboding. "Yes."

"Your wife is currently under operation in the ER–"

Since then, Enji develops great aversion to calls from unknown numbers.
---

I know nothing at all

"WE TOLD YOU SO! WE TOLD YOU SO!" Touya screamed outside the emergency room. "-you shouldn't have become a firefighter!"

Touya struggles against Natsuo's and Fuyumi's hold. The eldest son is plagued by the guttural wail his father let out as Enji falls to his knees that night. "Mom- is so fucking selfish because of her ambition–"

"TOUYA!" Enji grabs his collar, bunching up the fabric and lifts him up. Touya's feet almost dangles on the floor. It takes everything in Enji not to throw his son and send his consciousness to next week but you wouldn't like that.

Touya cries; an ugly, miserable sound escapes from his throat. "Dad... mom is..."

Enji lets him down, and then pulls him, Fuyumi and Natsuo in a tight hug. Not one of them could tell who's consoling who.
---

I'm still learning to love

Enji sees his daughter's room, one wall, full of sticky notes. Reminders. Things to do. He takes Fuyumi out on a drive, they were silent for awhile until a song comes on the radio. Your favorite song. His vision becomes blurry and he hears Fuyumi's sobs. Enji wished he could take away his children's pain but he doesn't think his chest could take more. He scoffed at sad songs, but he used to agree that their melodies are something else. Now, all the sad songs made sense.