Why?

Mai
I woke up again that night too a pain in my belly.

At first, I just thought I had to go #2 but when I put my hand on my stomach and it felt wet.

Wet?

I brought my hand back up and couldn't see but I could smell it.

I would know that smell anywhere.

It was blood.

"Zuko," I whispered in shock my hand shaking.

Zuko had turned over after 15 minutes of holding my belly.

"Zuko!" I screamed. I was . . .

Zuko shoot out of bed, "what! What? Mai! Wha-"

"I'm bleeding. Zuko the baby- I- katara- I need Katara." I breathed. I was starting to panic, my whole body was shaking.

I don't know what's wrong. I did everything right.

"Shit," I heard Zuko say as he throw the blankets off. I felt the cool breeze hit my body but I couldn't do anything but stare at my hand, "lay down. I'll call for Katara."

Zuko ran to the door and yelled at the guards at the end of the hall to wake Katara and send her immediately and several other nurses.

Zuko flipped on the lights and I wished he didn't.

My hand was covered in blood and the sheets, oh gods, the sheets where a bright red.

My heart had stopped beating as my hand shock even more.

"M-Mai," Zuko whispered.

I looked up at him. Zuko's face was pale and his eyes where wide as he started at my hand. Zuko was shacking too or was it just her shacking badly.

"Zu-Zuko. I- the baby-"

"It's okay. Hey it's okay," Zuko snapped out of it and ran to my side. He grabbed my hands roughly, "Katara's on her way- I'm sure it's nothing. The baby's fine- fine."

But it was a lie. We both knew it. Something was wrong and the baby- oh my sweet little baby.

"Mai? What's wrong? Oh no!" Katara screamed when she ran through the doors Zuko forgot to close.

"Shit," Aang muttered as he walked in as well then wisely stepped out.

"Oh dear," Katara said as she walked up, pushing Zuko away, "Zuko go. Leave us. Mai, I need you to lie down.

"I- I did everything you told me to do- I read all those books." I did everything right. Was I too careless? Did I put my baby at risk? Did I kill it?

I'm so . . .

"I know, I know but now I need you to lay down. Zuko, wait outside okay."

Zuko looked at me but all I saw was red. Red.

"Everything is fine Mai. No matter what," Zuko said with a shaky voice as he fought back tears, kissing my head but I barely heard him.

Katara pushed me down, gently, and told me to breath but I couldn't.

All I felt was emptiness.

"I'm scared," I whispered but I wasn't heard as more people came in and started to help Katara and before I knew it. I heard one of the maids start to weep.

Zuko
I was pacing back and forth in front of the door, before Azula pulled me close.

"Zuzu, you need to breath," she said.

"But, she was bleeding," I said breathless, "she was- she's-"

"Mai's strong," Ty lee said grabbing my hand, "I'm sure it's nothing-nothing serious."