Bloodied chores

Getting dressed in the overalls that hugged my body uncomfortably tight, I headed downstairs and back to the barn outside to meet with Berk, Mike and Sawyer. Berk was in the back handling the cows as Mike was talking to Sawyer, though he hadn't seemed interested as for he was doing his own thing. As I walked up to them, Mike nudged Sawyer who was bent over doing something. Sawyer looked up quickly and smiled as we came face to face.
"What's going on?" I questioned as I attempted to peek around his tall figure.
"Just doing the farm chores. You wanna help?" He asked as he wiped off a red liquid off his hands with an already dirty rag.
"It's not like I have a choice." I laughed with uneasiness, my eyes going back to meet his eyes. Mike walks passed me, however, not before he cupped my shoulder with his hand, "There's the spirit."
"Mike." Sawyer gritted, staring down Mike as he left the barn.
"It's alright. You're helping me, I help you." I forced a tightened smile, wondering if that was even believable to him. Though, minutes turned to hours and we were getting along well as we helped one another with the chores. Soon enough, we got to hanging up laundry outside on the clothesline.
"So, tell me a little bit about yourself." Sawyer says as he hangs up a white sheet.
I smirked as I did the same movements, "like what?"
"Well for starters, what made you come up here?" He asks me. I'd almost forgotten about why and remembering, made me panic inside.
"A new job." I answered vaguely.
He stops, suddenly staring at me. "What job?"
"A park ranger. I've always loved to help people and being outdoors, so it seemed perfect." I smiled just thinking about the new career.
"Why did you have to come up here for that?"
"Well, I've been wanting to move here anyway. I thought this would be a good excuse to do so." I replied as he returned to doing the chore we were given. As I went to put a clothing piece on the line, I see something in the distance, causing me to jump. As I stumbled backwards, I tip over a bucket of cold water, drenching myself in it. Sawyer rushed over to me with concern as he helped me up to my feet.
"What's wrong? Are you alright?" He questioned me as he still held onto my arm. Instead of speaking, I pointed to where the figure was, just to see nothing in sight.
"S-something was t-there." I shivered as the water dripped off my face.
"There's nothing there, come on, let's get you cleaned up." He offered, holding onto me as we walked into the home together.

Celeste and the rest of his family ran up to us as we made our way into the home.
"Goodness, what happened?" Celeste asked, looking me up and down with worrisome eyes.
"She fell." Sawyer answered. His brother, George, walks away before coming back with a towel.
"I think you'll need this, ma'am." George handed me the soft towel.
"Thanks." I smiled at him as he nodded silently. Once the family departed, going off to do their own chores, Polly stepped in front of Sawyer and I, blocking us from the bathroom.
"You saw it, didn't you?" She asked me.
I looked to Sawyer, confused but he was only glaring at his younger sister. "I'm sorry, I don't know." I shrugged, accompanied with nervous laugh.
"Polly, you were given chores. You should go do them so you don't get yelled at by Berk." Sawyer ordered her with a gentle voice. I haven't heard him talk so gently before.
"I finished them."
"Then help ma." He replied quickly. Polly stood for a moment before walking off into the kitchen where Celeste was. We make our way to the bathroom door until I stopped and stared at Sawyer.
"What's wrong?" He questioned me, eyebrows furrowed at me.
"Any update on my car?" I asked him.
He sighed heavily, "Don't worry. I'll get it taken care of when you're in the shower."
"I'm sorry, I'm really not trying to rush you. It's just— this is important to me." I apologized.
"Yeah." He scoffed before walking off down the hallway. I stood in front of the bathroom, taken aback by his sudden mood swing. Maybe I'm not the only one under stress. Closing and locking the door behind me, I begin to undress myself for the shower. It was a tiny bathroom, but cozy. Similar to the rest of the home, I thought.

Stepping out of the bathroom after getting dressed, I'm met with Mike.
"Sawyer told me to let you know that your car is gonna need more work." Mike stated, looking me up and down with judgmental eyes. 
"More work? What work?" I questioned.
He shrugged, "Maybe you should talk to him about it." I groaned with growing frustration before I looked in all the rooms, attempting to find Sawyer. During my search, I was met with Berk in the living room.
"Who're you looking for now?" He questioned me, his eyes glued to me just like Mike's. I felt as if I were an intruder about to pay anytime for my crime.
"Uh- Sawyer, sir." I stuttered as for his glare intimidated me.
"He's outside, chopping wood." He informed me. As I go to turn around, he stops me again. "I hear you've been seeing things around our home lately." He stated.
"N-no sir. Just thought I saw something outside earlier is all, must've just been a cow." My laugh of nervousness echoed throughout the silent room.
"My cows don't be going that far." He informed as his eyes start to squint, as though he were trying to read my thoughts.
"Oh." I said before spinning around and rushing out of the home as fast as possible. I couldn't spend one more minute in a room alone with Berk, he was more intimidating than the rest of the family. That was until I saw Sawyer holding a large axe in the front yard, the sunset giving an ominous lighting over him.
"Sawyer?" I called out softly as to not startle him. Though, he was anything but startled by my presence.