Chapter 7• Caleb

I wake up on the couch because I can't get downstairs to my bedroom in my stupid wheelchair. It's two weeks after my accident and there has been no improvement in my legs. My life is like a roller coaster which is always going straight down! When the only feelings you have are numbness, pain, sickness, and fear.

Today is a lonely and rainy day in the middle of May. I sleep on the light blue leather couch in our fairly large living room with a twenty foot high ceiling, white carpet, light blue walls, and a 72' TV on the east wall. I wake up to a knock at the front door. After a few minutes of lifting myself slowly into my awful wheelchair, I wheel myself to the door. To my surprise when I open the door there is no one there. Feeling curious with no one waiting for me at the door, I look left then right then up then down. At the foot of my wheelchair I see a dark red box tied shut with a brown lace ribbon. I reach down and grab the box not thinking much about it because I've gotten hundreds of packages in the past few weeks. I set the box on our granite kitchen counter along with all of the other boxes I'm putting off to open until later on.

A few hours later Caleb came over.
"Hey Sky! How you feelin?" He asks while he comes over to the couch I'm on and kisses my cheek.
"As good as I can be, locked up in this boring house." I say with a half smile.
I know he's probably getting annoyed by my snarky comments all the time, but I can't help it. With all of my physical therapy, mental therapy for my emotions, and Rachael still missing, I have fallen into a deep depression.
"I'm gonna take you somewhere. Okay babe?"he asks.
"Umm alright, but you get to drive!" I say sarcastically.
"I was counting on that."he says then shortly follows one of his winks that melts my heart. I start to wheel myself out to his silver Excursion while he grabs his keys.
He comes over quickly, grabs my hands from my wheels, and sets them in my lap.
"Let me take care of you."he exclaims.
I can't help but smile after he does this. He then wheels me out to his car that sits in my brown cemented driveway. After he helps me into the car, he starts driving us down a road I've never seen.

After we drive for what was probably about ten miles down that muddy road from the rain, we stop at this beautiful spot. It has dark green ferns and so many trees and beautiful flowers which surround a perfectly clear, blue pond that flows from a gushing waterfall. Black rocks sit right at the water line. He smiles at me with his perfect white smile and his dimples show more then I've ever seen them show. He then hops out and comes around to my side. He opens the door and kisses me softly.
"Where are we? I ask.
"Somewhere special."he says in a cute mysterious way.
He scoops me up in his arms like a mother would to her baby. He walks us over to the edge of the water and sets me down on a rock very gently. He comes and sits closely next to me, holds an umbrella above our heads, and grabs my hand. As we hold hands and watch as the water sprays into the gorgeous pond, we talk and laugh for hours. I find myself forgetting about all of the negativity in my life and can't stop thinking about how happy I am right now. Then I realise, I am in love with this boy.

Once the day gets old, he picks me up and holds me tight as he carries me to the car and then drives me home.