five - partying in the city

chapter v.

❝ Would you like to dance? ❞

seattle, washington
( club contour )

GAZING OUT the tinted window of the black SUV, I contemplated opening the door and jumping out of the moving vehicle. I didn't want to accompany my parents to one of their boring meetings dealing with their successful company. Having to sit through them talking endlessly about deals and what they could do to expand their trades sounded boring.

Letting out a sigh, I watched as trees passed by while we got closer to Seattle. The three-hour ride from Forks seemed to go on forever. My mind wandered to Jared and Sam whom I had spent my time with yesterday; it was the most fun I had since moving to Forks, and I looked forward to going to La Push again during my stay in Washington.

Upon arriving at the hotel where we would be staying for the next two days, I immediately made my way to the room I would be staying at and plopped myself on the king-size bed in the middle of the room― thankfully I had a room with a big window that gave me a nice view of the city. Walking to the bathroom, I took a quick shower and did my night routine, preparing myself mentally for what I would have to go through tomorrow. I was not looking forward to it.

The following morning, I got ready to sit through hours of meetings. My parents make me dress as professionally as possible, not wanting me to embarrass them. And with that, we are off.

Sitting beside my mother who was standing behind her seat at the head of the table with a wide smile, so fake it made me gag, we waited for the snobby rich people to arrive and listen to my parents boast endlessly about their successful trades; in the end, convincing them to join them in expanding it even more to other countries. Once they arrived, my mother kicked my leg under the table to make me stand up and greet everyone with the same fake smile I always greet people like them with.

The meeting seemed to drag out, and I struggled more and more to keep my eyes from slipping closed. As if hearing my thoughts, my mom sent another kick my way, going unnoticed by everyone else, as my father showed some graphs demonstrating their immense growth in the trading business. Ignoring the look she seemed to be sending me, I focused back on whatever my father was saying.

'I just want to go home and sleep some more...'

Arriving back at the hotel, I immediately went straight to my room ― ignoring my mother's calls. Once inside I leaned back against the door, closing it, and letting out a sigh. Walking to my backpack, I pulled out my pack of cigarettes and walked to the large window, opening it and lighting one up. Inhaling, I felt my tense muscles immediately relax. Sitting at the window sill, I looked out the lit-up city while I finished smoking, my thoughts wandering to all sorts of things. One thought that caught me off guard was Jared's smile, dark brown eyes, and lean body.