seven - new face with anger issues

chapter vii.

❝ What's your problem man? ❞

la push, washington

DROWNING OUT the sound of the tv in the background, I stared out my bedroom window, counting the sixth squirrel I had seen pass by. For the past couple of days, I struggled to find the motivation to get out of bed or even out of the house. Depression can be a real bitch.

Sighing, I decided to go downstairs and attempt to cook to pass time but my mind seemed to drift off which almost made me burn down the kitchen.

'Maybe some fresh air will help...'

Taking my belongings, I locked the house and let myself get lost listening to some music— letting my feet carry me. Unsurprisingly, I found myself waiting for my usual bus to take me to La Push. Once the bus stopped in front of me, I walked inside and sat down at the far end. And in no time we had arrived at the small reservation.

Stepping out, the tension weighing down on my shoulders seemed to disappear and a sense of relief flooded throughout my body. Without a second thought, I made my way to the beach and decided to walk alongside the shore; watching the waves push up on the beach while carrying a salty smell. Lost in thought, I didn't even notice the familiar pair of muscular men approaching me.

"Nora," Jared greeted. His radiant smile was the first thing I noticed, causing a weird feeling to form in the pit of my stomach. Weird.

"Hey guys," I smiled back, Sam gave me a nod and a small smile. A third person seemed to appear out of nowhere with a frown on his face, avoiding my gaze. Noticing my eyes on the stranger behind Sam, Jared spoke up with his usual smile, "This is Paul, a friend of ours."

Paul finally met my eyes for a split second before averting them again. Nodding awkwardly, I decided to leave the brooding teenager alone and instead decided to focus back on Jared. "Haven't been able to come back down to La Push; how have things been? Missed me?" Teasingly I nudged Jared while sending a wink to Sam. Both boys chuckled at my antics, "Of course! Why haven't you been coming? Busy?"

Walking beside Jared, I shrugged my shoulders, "Didn't feel like getting out of bed: too cold and gloomy."

Arriving at Sam's house, I began cooking lunch for the four of us while each helped cut the ingredients. Seeing Paul struggle to peel the onions, I chuckled, making my way over to him and taking them. "Why don't you wash the lettuce instead."

Without a word he did as I said, not glancing at me once.

'Maybe he's shy...'

Noticing my gaze on Paul, Jared appeared beside me, bumping his arm with mine, catching my attention, "Don't mind him. He's been struggling with some problems and Sam has been trying to help him."