XXXIII.

HIS heart was racing and his thoughts ran wild. He felt his breath hitch as he dropped the flowers he got her to the floor, and then he slammed the door open.

"Is that why you came back? Just so you could legitimately claim I fathered Bucky's child?" he said the first thing that he came to mind, his cheeks hot with confusion and anger. Finally, it all made sense, the reason of her return to his courts, to his arms, it's all her agenda. After all it completely makes sense for her to be greedy after what his father's greed to her. It made sense if she wanted revenge. Fury warned him and he didn't listen, fool, he told himself.

He watched as Natasha sighed in shock, her eyes fell to the floor and away from his gaze, she sat herself down as if bracing for an attack, but he can't stand this silence, "Natasha,  I don't know what game you are trying to play, what? Are you going to come back all the way here just to make sure you and another man's child rule both kingdoms? Is that why you wanted a child so soon, so you can hide the fact that my heir is not my heir at all? Do you even love me at all?" 

He was met with no response, he scoffed, "Fury was right. It's all lies and tricks with you"

"Your Majesty-" Clint started and took a step towards Steve only to be met with a stern warning,"You stay out of this Barton, I'm talking to Natasha. In fact, please leave the room," and though his words are polite, Clint never felt so afraid of Steve before.

"But," Clint hesitated, glancing between an emotional, fuming Steve and a dejected looking Natasha, but she looked at him softly and gave him a nod. He feels like he's going to regret it, but he finally exit the room and left the two alone.

Steve sighed and exhaled, he tried to calm himself, not wanting to say anything he will regret later. He wiped his hand over his eyes  and paced the room a few times before making his way to sit next to Natasha on the bed.

He began in a tone she never heard used on her before, it was his ruling voice, the tone of a king when giving commands, it gave no room for compromise, "I will play along, pretend the child is mine. But, I don't think I will allow myself to trust you any more," he got up and headed to the door.

"You always think the worst of me," Natasha said in a quiet voice when he reached the door, he'd seen her sad before but the vulnerability in her voice today struck a soft spot in his raging heart. He hesitated. But he turned around to face her.

"Well you didn't deny anything I said, did you?" he said curtly, and proceeded heading out.

Natasha squeezed her eyes shut and let out a breath, "Steve, I'm dying."

His head snapped up and he froze on his tracks. 

"Is that what you'd rather hear?" she said, holding a blanket tight at her lap, refusing to let defeat take over and let the tears stream down her face.

Steve felt his shoulders slump, and he felt his legs go a bit limp that he had to hold onto the door frame,"What?" he asked, breathless.

"Something did happen with James and I," she began with a shaky breath,"but we did not have a child together. I can't even bear the thought of it, still felt like I was betraying you when I was married to him. I didn't bother with schemes or lies or tricks to secure more power, certainly not using an innocent child, I was too busy figuring out how to last the year," she said sadly and let out a little laugh,"Huh, funny how it has come to this, kind of expected to grow old and grey or at least give my kingdom an heir first."

Steve felt like falling over the floor as he held onto himself tighter, he felt awful. This was his wife, the woman he loves with all his heart and she needed him. He can't even bear to imagine the desperation and how lonely she must've felt, going through this without the support of her husband.

"I did come back here for a reason, I needed to get the treatment here in Midgard. I heard of a Doctor Strange, and I've been sneaking out to see him, he's the only one who knows how to counter the poison infecting my body," she continued, but Steve was walking towards her and sat himself across her.

"I- I don't understand, poison? How does Bucky fit into this?" Steve asked frantically, trying to wrap his head around the situation.

It was unusually hot that summer morning, the sun set high and bright and even the wind was hot. James felt like he could melt into a puddle right there in the middle of the garden, so he made his way to an enormous tree at the centre and sat below its shade.

From behind the tree, he could hear running down the hallway encircling the garden. He took a peak, "Natasha!" he greeted.

Instead she kept running down the hallway, "What?" James muttered to himself, so he chased Natasha down.

"Natasha! Are you alright?"  James shouted louder and cornered her,  he watched as beads of sweat trickled down her face and her hands braced her torso.

"James! Didn't see you there," she tried to brush it off cooly.

"Really? I chased you down this entire hallway screaming your name,"  he laughed but got nervous when he watched her breathe harder, "Are you alright?"

"Of course!"

"Natasha you're sweating like a madman," James pointed out.

"James! Did your mother not teach you not to insult a lady! It's just particularly hot today isn't it, you just speak for yourself," she gestured to his face.

"Natasha, you're really really pale," he said urgently, "let's get you to a doctor," and before he managed to lead her to the infirmary, she fell to the floor, "Natasha!"

She had woken up to Dr. Banner discussing something quietly with James, "What happened?" she said weakly. At the sound of her voice, Banner went to her side and began to check her vitals.

"Great, you're better now," he said, relieved. But Natasha looked at him confused, "Natasha, I'm afraid, the sword that pierced you was laced with poison. When James first brought you in, we didn't find any symptom, I'm sorry. I have given you an antidote for now, but I cannot cure it completely, I'm afraid it's not my specialty."

Natasha recalled the revelation to Steve, "Before I had the chance to meet Dr. Strange, we were on the run for Russgard. I thought the people back home can cure it, but nobody recognised the poison, I had to come back here."

"Natasha you could've told me," Steve said softly, cupping her face in his hands as he brushed his thumbs over her cheeks.

"And have you blame James for everything? The poor man can't live with that guilt and beating from you," she replied, and he laughed. She knew him too well, that's exactly what he would have done.

They looked at each other, and held their hands together. He felt like an idiot, doubting Natasha again and again, only to find she only has their best interests in mind. So he pulled her closer and tucked her under his chin. God, he missed this, he missed having her in his arms and he doesn't know for how much longer he can have this as a tear dropped down his eye and he kissed the top of her head,"I'm so sorry for doubting you. We'll get through this. I know you, you're strong. That poison's got nothing on you," he said quietly and held her tighter.