XXI.

ON A different day, a different time, a different occasion, Natasha's lips would tug up to one side upon seeing her reflection in the mirror, but not today she would not. She was stunning in her dress, with the color of the clouds at the brightest time of day. Intricate laces embroidered beautifully, down her sleeves and down towards the floor and with a touch of golden belt that embraced her waist, she looked like a vision.

But all she could feel was the lump creeping up towards her throat and the sting of hot tears welling up her eyes.

She takes one more look at her reflection and inhales slowly as she shut her eyes, trying to push all the tangle of feelings away.

"You alright princess?" a familiar voice cuts her out from her thoughts. 

"I'll be alright," she replied softly to Clint, he too was dressed up nicely, for once he might even blend in among the nobles.

"Really? Cause you look like you're about to cry any second now," Clint said as he stepped forward to put his hands on her arms.

"Oh shut up, Barton," she chuckled shortly and turned away from him abruptly.

Sighing, Clint said softly, "It's alright to cry now, Tasha. You might as well do it now and not in front of your guests."

Darn it, how could he know her so well?

A millisecond later she lunged forward at Clint in an embrace. They've shared so many embraces in the past, innocent ones as children or even those at times of hardship, but this... this was the kind of human contact established only between true friends that Natasha immediately felt comfort radiate off her best friend, as she nestled her head against his chest she allow her tears to flow.

An indescribable amount of pain surged through her body as the realization that the clock continued to tick, closer and closer to the time when she will no longer be a free woman, rather a princess bound to her husband. No metaphor could paint the aching in her heart knowing that this decision would hurt Steve more than it would hurt her and no word in the language could picture the agony weighing on Natasha.

The very knowledge that her conscious decision would inflict Steve such pain is already one cut through the heart. Another cut as she imagine the look on Steve's face when he finally knew. Another as she reminisced all the loving moments that they shared, every touch, every gaze, every smile. Another as she realized the betrayal of her mind against her heart, marrying Steve's own best friend out of all possible men out there. Although not much, even a single cut left untended could bleed one to death.

Clint rubbed her back as he accompanied her through the silence and long in that silence they stood. Wanda, dressed in a deep red dress and a flower crown on her head came in with a soft knock, softly she said, "It's time."

Pulling away from Clint, Natasha wiped away the tears from her cheek and gave him a small smile. Wanda lowered Natasha's veil onto her head, clipping them into place along with her tiara.

She was all prepared, but not at all ready.

"I'm proud of you," Clint said with his comforting smile, "I'm proud of this girl that would do anything for her kingdom, despite what she feels."

"Thank you, Clint," she replied as she gave him one last embrace.

"Now, go be a princess," he said lightly as he urged her to get going. With a sigh, and a small smile, off she goes stepping into a future of uncertainty and one filled with hidden agony.

_____________

James and Steve had been friends before they even knew how to speak, and though coming from different families, they had lived together since, like brothers. They had their highs and lows, at times arguing at their different views, but at the end of the day they were still brothers in arms. A code has long been established between the two and today, James would break it for the sake of his own kingdom, he believed.