Chapter 6:

I am half wrong about Udaria. If you overlook the unintentional rudeness and a tendency to accidently offend everyone he's ever met, he's actually a nice person. And, admittedly, he's good at his job. I might even be beginning to like him.

When my prep team see my outfit for the first time, they all exhale deeply in jealousy. I'm just glad I don't look like a loaf of bread. Although I must confess I am pretty amazed as well, and I can't even begin to fathom how much all these materials and semi-precious jewels must have cost.

I am wearing an exquisite golden gown that gathers around my feet in a molten pool. Beading across my chest and the studs on my skin give the impression of sun rays when the electrical lights over head bounces off my outfit. When I walk, the silky material sways, reminding of the grain stalks contrasting with the blueness of the sky and melding with the bright orb we call the sun. I miss home so much it hurts. But this was my decision. I must learn to live with it.

As he light outside the voluminous windows turns to dark my personal rainbows add the final finishing touches. Neola kneels and ties a pair of glamorous gladiator sandals upon my feet. Roxo brushes my face with yet another layer of powder. I am so caked with the stuff, I doubt if I'll ever find my real face again. He smiles a slightly malicious smile and in return I give him one of my trademark death stares, the ones I used to psych bullies out at school. The smug look slips from his face and he scowls before turning away.

 Ciel gathers my hair and effortlessly gathers it up in a elegant twist upon my head. A few strands have been highlighted with ribbons of hair a shade lighter than my usual copper, adding to the depth of the whole effect.

"Don't worry about him," she whispers, placing a golden, shiny circlet amongst my wild mane of hair. The metal has been cleverly twisted into the shape of flowers every few centimetres, showing the skill and craftsmanship. I am beginning to understand what Udaria meant when he said that only the elite make it here.

Ciel steps back, wobbling dangerously on her thin ankles, as if to admire me. She has a mischievous twinkle in her eye, but that is soon replaced by a vacant smile as Udaria storms into the room, snapping his fingers in impatience.

"Move it along, people! Everyone is waiting for Adelaide and I don't want my - sorry, her - admiration to be tarnished by delay!"

Udaria mops his brow with a silken handkerchief and ushers my to the door. "Plenty of time to admire yourself later."

I scoff and begin to speak, but he waves away my indignant cries. "I don't blame you, dear. You do look quite spectacular, even if I do say so myself."

I shake my head in exasperation as he leads me back to our floor. Jakob is leaning on one of the couches, and his eyes widen slightly as he sees my outfit.

"You see? Even the stupid child has eyes. You're beautiful, whether you want to be or not. Biology doesn't care about your opinion. It's exactly what will get you sponsors and me a promotion."

I don't know whether t be miffed or mollified, but Udaria slips away before I have a chance to work my thoughts out. Jakob stands up properly, and I notice for the first time what he is wearing. He looks more or less the same as me but in a suit opposed to a dress. At least he has to wear the silly gold sparkles. Ha.

"You look just like your mother."

I whip my head around at the sound of one of the most familiar noises to me. A voice I would recognize anywhere in the world. Belonging to a man I would die for. I rush to my father's side and wrap my hands tightly around his neck. I don't want to let go from this life-ring of safety.

"I missed you so much," I say, racking my brain to try and remember the last time I saw him. It seems so long ago, until I realize it was only last night. Although he wasn't really gone. Part of my subconscious still thinks of him, and the rest of my family, every minute of every day. They are the only thing I never stop worrying about.