Ascension

Waking up in Aeran Plains wasn't natural for your body. There was no light that broke through curtains, and no sounds of extinct animals which made their day. Instead the mornings looked exactly like the night you had left. I could feel Leone's skin against mine, he was warm and his body pulsed autonomously - a resting status. I looked on the floor beside us and our clothes were scattered about. I could hear my father downstairs. I carefully moved from under Leone's arm which was lay on top of me and looked down. He was humming a slight tune and smiling. I put on some shorts I had in one of my drawers and climbed down. He saw me climb down and said, "Son," happily, "how was your sleep." He handed me a cup of water, "It was fine thanks, father." I wasn't sure if he knew Leone was back or not, so I just didn't say anything. "How was your welcoming party," my father said. His eyes eager with anticipation. His foot was tapping up and down, too. "Erm, I think it went well. Skyne seems like an... interesting character." My father laughed, "Skyne is only about 10 years older than you, Son. I always thought you'd have made a fine pair." He then looked up into the air, "but on second thoughts, I'm glad you're with Leone. Have you seen Skyne's teeth... It's what living on the 14th level does to you." I said, "Father, how did you know Skyne." He took a sip from his glass and laid it on the table next to him. "He was my neighbours son, but when LEO's flushed his parents he had no-where to go. We didn't have any spare rations to give, or water to share. He fell down levels before finding his feet, a troubled soul." My father looked remorseful, the recollection of past looked hard for him. I don't think anyone had found it easy though. To lighten the mood I said, "How do you know about Leone," my father's smile returned. "Well, as part of the revolutionaries, I was introduced to him at meetings prior - we sent him to protect you, but it went another way." My father seemed happy at this remark, it was someone else looking out for me. "You know, Son, this Isolopod. Do you know why you were chosen." I gripped my fists and looked towards the floor, "You were chosen because I volunteered you." My own father, "What, why, Father... I might die." He replied, "I didn't have much choice, Son. You are the last surviving heir of Djavaar, city of the water." he took a deep breath, "Your mother was, before you, the only hybrid of Djavaaran and human whom lived on land. The pure breed of natural selection." I said to him, "Djavaar, what is that, city of the water." My father started to whisper, "Many years ago, when The Abyss was the calm sea. Humans lived on Djavaar. A huge floating city in the sea, the most gifted were offered the chance to begin life there. As the sea dropped down to unreachable depths, so did Djavaar. Now, thousands of years later we need to know if they made it; our last survivable habitat may be Djavaar. They might know why The Abyss was formed." I couldn't speak, it sounded like something from a novel I had read when I was a child. "Darkos and Me, adventures on the high sea." I said, my father smiled, "Your ancestors left you that book as a pool of inspiration." 

My eyes started to become blurry, the tears were building up and I was speechless. "Phasan, you only have one more day before you're going back. I won't keep you, go and say your last goodbyes. I love you very much my son. You will make us all proud." I stood up and hugged him, his frame was frail and he couldn't grip me like he used to. I could see the death in his eyes. I went to get Leone... I looked up to my bed and he was gone, his clothes as well. There was a note on the bed, "Phasan, I had to go. The Revolutionaries need me - I'll see you back in Apollo." I held the paper to my heart and put it in my uniform pocket, which was still on the floor. I then put on my Apollo uniform and went back downstairs. The tightness of clothes reminded me of Apollo instantly, the rigid, callous structure of the city of the sky. I gave my father a hug goodbye - I felt like it wasn't the end though, I would be back... one day. I opened my front door and walked down to level 14. I reached Skyne's house and knocked on the door, it was empty, the house echoed my footsteps. There were no slight hums, or candles lit. I walked to the bar, which too was empty. I wasn't sure where Skyne or the rest of the Revolutionaries were. I then looked around and the whole of level 14 was empty - it was barren, desolate. Just like outside. I walked back up to the higher levels and the density of people slowly increased, although I never saw more than 10. People mustn’t have really ventured out of their houses at these abhorrent times. I then started to ascend the grand clay staircase towards the entrance of Aeran Plains. I had done and saw all I needed to - it was time to meet A.E.R.A, if she wanted me to. The ascension was a lot quicker than my descent. Time went slowly on my return to Aeran Plains, maybe it was because my head had too much to think about with no counsel. I hadn't even told Leone, but now I knew he was sent to protect me, I could confide in him while I resided in Apollo. I had never actually waited around in the entrance to Aeran Plains. It was protected with special glass and had a clear view of the cathedral in the distance and the columns that led to Apollo. The emerald gates glistened in the distance. In the entrance there were benches all lined up perfectly, one after another. I don't think anyone had used one before - you couldn't request to visit Apollo like you could Aeran Plains. I saw on one of the benches closest to the window and looked straight ahead. Past the gates, you could make out The Abyss drops. I tried to imagine the book I read as a child, Darkos and Me. I closed my eyes and I could see Darkos and the mysterious man who followed Darkos on the high sea. I pictured stormy, crashing waves and lightning striking way above as they clung onto their ship. I remember that Darkos was just the mysterious man’s consciousness and as he became more aware that he was in control the mysterious man became more coloured in and Darkos faded away; he became Darkos. Solace in yourself. I laughed because it reminded me of my mother who would read it to me, while my dad worked for A.E.R.A's well being. When we thought she was good. My mother, Yvnla, was flushed when I was I was 10. Father never told me why, but now it makes sense. Impending doom then caught up with me. How about if A.E.R.A was going to flush me, and there was no Isolopod programme... maybe she would just want me for information. 

My eyes were still closed. I opened them to see the transporter heading towards me. I stood up and held my arm with one hand. As the transporter docked into the bay the escort was there to greet me. He said, "Sir Bronta, it's time." I said nothing and walked towards him. In the transporter another escort was sat with a veil over their head. Their legs were crossed and their hands were lay on their knees. They then said, "Phasan, it's been a while." The tone of her voice instantly hit me, "Cerezia." She put her veil over her head and smiled, "Yes, Phasan. It really is time." Something was wrong with Cerezia... her eyes... they were no longer sky blue, but... autonomous blue. She had become part cyborg, I hadn't even realised she wasn't until now. I still smiled, I was happy to see Cerezia, I had missed her. "A.E.R.A. is fully available to meet you, she is very interested in meeting the future martyr of Apollo, the saviour of the end." I couldn't speak, nerves had encaged my speech and all I could do was watch Cerezia's gaze, which now, had become a rigid-non-blink exchange. Her smile was no longer chaste. It was too wide and darkened her personality. The other escort said nothing. "Let me strap you in Phasan," Cerezia said as she pulled a rope off the wall and tied my hands to arm restraints and legs to the floor. She then said, "we need to make sure you haven't got any impediments when you meet A.E.R.A, video devices, or weapons." I went to speak but Cerezia stabbed me with a needle in my neck, "good boy, Phasan." My head felt heavy and hit the back of the seat. Cerezia then placed a device which kept my mouth wide open. I could speak, I could just watch Cerezia. Her eyes turned slowly red and her smile became a smirk. "The tools, please," she said as the other escort handed Cerezia a box. I tried to speak but it was just muffles and whimpers. Cerezia then got a bright torch and shone it in both of my eyes. I kept blinking and Cerezia got the same device on my mouth but for my eyes - they burnt as they tried to resist the restraints. She spent over twenty seconds looking in both eyes. She left the eye restraints in, almost like an operation error. She didn't care about my pain. Cerezia then got out a long silver cord. It was long, too long. She said, "Phasan, if you don't swallow, you'll choke." Cerezia put the cord into my mouth and without warning just started feeding it down my throat, my arms tried to stop her but they were too weak. Even though I was drugged I could still feel immense pain. It felt like the cord was opening in my throat, I gagged and I could feel my stomach trying to stop anything from rising. She then ripped it back out, it was covered in blood and she read the cord, while her gold suit stained in death. She smiled, "alright, Phasan, you are now ready to visit A.E.R.A," she looked out the transporter window, "Oh look, we've arrived." I couldn't speak, nor blink. My eyes felt so dry I wished for them to bleed - anything for some liquid. I soon after faded in and out of consciousness. I could feel the escort and driver carrying me through the cathedral and back to my living quarters. I woke up and was lay on my bed in Apollo. The hum of automated air and high pitched ringing returned. My throat felt like it was ripped open. I couldn't swallow properly; at least my eyes had a chance to recover. I couldn't see the same now though. Colours were distorted. I walked slowly into the bathroom - I was naked. The softness of the carpet on the floor contradicted the rest of my weak body trying to walk to the bathe room door. I looked in the mirror as my hands clenched the sink counter trying to remain stood up. I was worried I.. I had changed. I looked at myself and my brown eyes were still brown, I fell to the floor in relief. I stood back up and looked at the dried blood which had dripped from my mouth. I walked over to the shower and signed on. The shower, although refreshing, just reminded me of my first day in Apollo. I felt dirty no matter how long I remained in the shower. Apollo wasn't a good place to be. 

I awaited my meeting with A.E.R.A and hoped for no more torment.