I rent a place on Cornelia Street

*fast forward to after Taylor's relationships with Calvin and Tom*

Taylor was a mess right now. She didn't want to get out of bed, she just wanted to stay there forever. She had just broken up with Tom, and even though she knew she was always going to have to do it because he was her rebound, it didn't hurt any less. He was a good distraction from Adam, but that was all he was- a distraction, just someone to move on with. She maybe could've seen herself actually falling for him like he fell for her, but deep down she knew they weren't right for each other so she had to break it off. 

Even though he appeared to take it well, she knew he was hurt by her decision but he wouldn't let her see it. They really had the best time together, and she was grateful to him for cheering her up. Maybe if she gave him more time, he could've been the 1. But she'll never know now. She buried her face in her pillow.

Her phone buzzed next to her, and she picked it up, expecting it to be a message from Selena or Gigi checking on her, but it was Joe. 

The two had become close friends a while after their encounter at the Met, and had seen each other several times with mutual friends. They had actually grown to be quite close, texting each other most days. He had been really helpful in both her relationships with Adam and Tom, when she had asked for advice or a man's perspective. It was only platonic at this point, because she wasn't ready for another relationship. He was probably one of her guy best friends at the moment and she really appreciated his support in her worst times. 

She opened the message

J: Hey T, I'm really sorry about Tom, here if you need me!

She couldn't help but smile, she knew she could count on him to always be there for her, that's what she liked the most about him.

T: Thanks, I'm doing okay but I do need cheering up...

J: Why don't we go out for a drink? It will take your mind off it.

T: Sounds good, Gigi texted me earlier saying she and the others were heading to a bar in Manhattan, should we go with them?

J: Perfect, text me the name of the bar and I'll meet you there at 8pm ;) see you soon!

Taylor closed her eyes and sighed to herself. She knew she needed this, to get out the apartment and get over it, but she was reluctant. At least Joe would be there, he could cheer her up by simply speaking with his British accent. First she'd have a nap though, she was pretty exhausted from her day of doing absolutely nothing. She chuckled to herself before dozing off with Olivia perched on her chest, purring rhythmically.

She woke up at 7pm and lept out of bed, aware that she didn't have much time before she needed to leave. She quickly texted the bar name to Joe after getting it off of Gigi, then started getting ready. She searched through her wardrobe looking for a suitable outfit. She settled on a mini skirt and a cute tank top paired with some heels, not too smart, just casual. She went to her mirror to apply her makeup. She took time perfecting her cat eyeliner before moving onto her lips, painting them in her signature red. She quickly styled her hair and flattened her bangs. 

Taylor looked at herself in the mirror. She didn't look completely like shit, she'd managed to make herself look vaguely presentable, but anyone could tell that there was sadness in her eyes. Finally it was time to leave. She grabbed her bag and waved goodbye to the cats before leaving the apartment where her driver was waiting on the street with an umbrella to hide her from any paps. Luckily there weren't and she let out a sigh of relief.

She sat in silence for the journey, still processing everything. Soon they pulled up outside of the bar, and she thanked her driver and got out, walking quickly into the back entrance to avoid being seen. She immediately saw the table with all her friends sitting around- Gigi, Zayn, Ashley, Claire, Selena and others, but her eyes instantly went to Joe, who was sitting on the end. He spun around as she walked in, and his eyes scanned her body. He got up and gave her a hug.

"I'm so sorry about Tom, Tay, but I must say you're looking pretty good tonight"

"I'm not in the mood for compliments right now" She replied trying to be moody but she failed and a grin swept across her face.

"Come on lets get you a drink, we can drown your sorrows away"

"I like your thinking Joe"

He lead her to the table and she sat down on the bench with his arm around her, comforting her. She smiled at him gratefully.

The night continued with many cocktails and laughs, even Taylor managed to find a joke funny here and there. One by one, each friend got up to leave, until it was midnight, and Joe and Taylor were the final two there. They were sitting in the corner of the booth, hugging each other, Joe stroking her hair. He knew this was a hard night for her as it was the first time she'd gone out after the breakup. Taylor sighed to herself, her mind still on Tom. Joe was doing a good job distracting her though, she had to give him credit for that. She really felt safe in his arms, his cologne eased her senses, and his soothing voice calmed her down. He would make a good boyfriend, she thought to herself.

The pair had a few more drinks as Joe attempted to lighten Taylor up, before he spoke. 

"Right I think I'm gonna leave now, it's getting late" He turned to Taylor to see her react with disappointment.

"Um okay" She said quietly.

"I can stay if you want Taylor?"

"No really I'm fine"

"You're not." There was a weird silence between them.

"Well its just that I really don't want to be alone tonight, or I'll start thinking about Tom again and spiral, but I'm sure I'll manage"

"Nonsense. I'll take you home and we can stay up a bit longer."

"Are you sure? Oh Joe what would I do without you! You really are the best guy friend a girl could ever ask for"

The word 'friend' stung Joe more than he thought it would. Weird. He didn't know why though.

"Of Course! Let's go, I've got my car here I'll drive us"

Joe lead Taylor out of the bar to his parked car, and helped her into the passenger seat. 

"Right. I've never been to your place before so where are we going?"

"I rent a place on Cornelia Street" Taylor replied casually, turning towards him.

As she faced him, Joe really noticed her beauty. Her eyes were wide and vulnerable, her slightly parted lips were red like cherries, and her blonde wispy bangs framed the masterpiece that was her face. God, if only she knew what he thought of her.

"To Cornelia Street we go!" Joe said as he smiled at her.

The car navigated its way around New York city, whilst Taylor stared out of the window, blissfully unaware of the events that her evening at home with Joe would hold.