CHAPTER 12

Chapter TwelveRaya St Claire, age 15

Chapter Twelve
Raya St Claire, age 15

The streets were wide and quiet around me—there was no one in sight, not even within a good few miles, and the only thing I heard around me was the cricket’s chirping, the sounds of the rain pitter-pattering against the roofs of the buildings, and my wet shoes clanking against the sidewalk as I walked, and an occasional horn honking in the far distance.

While I was walking down the dirty sidewalk littered with garbage and mud, I wiped the tears that had started to run down my cheeks for what felt like the millionth time that night. It didn’t want to stop, and I don’t think it would any time soon.

I was alone. I was scared. I was cold. I was dirty.

I was hungry and thirsty. I haven’t had a decent dinner since my mom’s spaghetti and meatballs—the last meal she has ever made for me since she has been murdered. I don’t even think I drank more than a few cups of water since their murder, because there was none to drink, not clean water, at least.

A piece of candy wrapper crunches underneath my foot as I make my way to my dark and surprisingly inviting alleyway. It was inviting because no one bothered me when I would rest there for the night, but what actually bothered me was the fact that the alleyway reeked of rotting garbage and motor oils.

And it was open with no roof to shield me from the rain that seeped through the open cracks. The icy rain water coats my hair, arms and everything else, even the old, ripped jacket someone handed me the other day was completely soaked.

As filthy as my clothes were, I couldn’t take anything off to shield me from the rain. I only owned this ripped jacket and my favourite dotted pair of pyjamas that were now dotted with filth instead of its usual patterns.

The jacket barely covered my entire backside, and it was covered in mud from using it as a makeshift pillow on some nights.

I drag my feet towards the corner of the alleyway, scowling at the rainwater that ran down the walls where I was supposed to sleep.

I shake my head, running my cold hand over my clothed arms to try and warm myself, but I fail to warm myself when a gust of icy wind flew past me, making me shiver all over again.

I see a flash in the distance and immediately knew that it was lightening.

Tonight, out of all the other nights, it decided to scare the living shit out of me. It was probably because I was alone with no one to keep me company during the scary flashes as piercing thunder sounds.

I walk past my sleeping spot now filled with water and plop myself down against the bricked wall of the alleyway right beside the nook.