CHAPTER 29

Chapter Twenty NineEzra Holmes, before he joined the NC

Chapter Twenty Nine
Ezra Holmes, before he joined the NC

I was staring at the stack of dollar bills lying on the old, antique table in front of me. My hands were folded in my lap, not wanting to touch the dollar bills just yet.

I unfold my hands, scratching the skin below my chin when Winchester, my boss, clears his throat in front of me, seated behind the antique table, with his hands folded on the table in front of him.

“There’s just one more contract after this one. You get this now,” Winchester says, jerking his head towards the stack of money still resting on the table in front of me, “and you’ll get the rest later after the second contract has been eliminated.”

I clench my jaw, grinding my teeth together, and if it ground even harder, my teeth would be crushed to shreds. “You know I don’t care about the money, Winchester.” I spit his name out with so much disgust, he actually looked offended, but with a single swipe over his beard, his expression turned neutral.

“I know you don’t care about the money, Mr Holmes.” He says, licking his dry lips. “And I know there’s something with much more value that you want, and I am aware of that, but our deal was that you would get that piece of value after your work with me is done. And your work will be done after these last two contracts.”

“I thought you said that this one was the last.” I question, looking at the unopened file lying on the stack of cash on the table. “You can’t keep saying that this is the last contract when it isn’t the last, when you give me another contract after.”

He chuckles, shaking his head at me. “Well, if you complete these last two jobs I have for you, you’d be free from my grasp.” He says, looking at me with a smile. “You’d walk away with your money and the thing you value so much. You’d be a free man, Mr Holmes. And I give you my word that I won’t contact you again.”

I scoff. “Your word means nothing to me.”

“Have I done something for you to doubt my word, Mr Holmes?” He asks.

After thinking of something to say to him, to defend why I said I didn’t take his word seriously, I shake my head. He wasn’t wrong. He hasn’t done anything for me to doubt his word, but I wish that was something I’d be proud of. I wasn’t.

“You’d just have to take my word for it, Mr Holmes.” He says.

There was a pause, and an endless staring competition going on between the two of us when he finally decided to clear his throat. He shifts in his seat, looking smug. “Besides, the contracts should be easy.” He continues. “Otherwise you wouldn’t have been the best at what you do, am I right or am I wrong, Mr Holmes?”