23: First Dance

The princess found herself at the doors of the ballroom, but she could not seem to muster up the courage to go inside. She found herself simply listening in on the livery, at the shouts and laughs and music. It sounded like a party.

When she finally peeked inside, opening the door to provide a tiny slit from which to see through, she saw golden, sparkly wallpaper and towering windows. The walls looked as if they were touched by the fairytale character Migdas, who could make anything gold by just touching it. It was certainly fancy looking, even if this was just a ballroom for children. She could just see the wide but squat staircase that she'd have to go down.

"I suppose it's time to go in then," Amelia said as she turned to Brand, who was standing right behind her.

He nodded, his face just as unreadable as ever.

"Tell the announcer who you are. I'll be waiting out here for you when you're ready to go back to bed."

So Brand wouldn't be going in. She supposed that was a good thing. She didn't really want a guard leering over her shoulder the whole night, did she? In his usual guard clothes and being an adult, he'd stick out like a sore thumb in that ballroom. It might bring more attention than necessary.

Amelia opened the door properly to see the full view of the room: impressive chandeliers that sparkled almost too brightly to look at, long tables that ran along the walls serving food of every craving, lively music playing from the band in the far corner that swelled and tumbled around the room to give it a joyful atmosphere.

And the people! Kids of all ages were congregated in what felt like every space available. Some older kids, probably even older than Amelia, were mingling and dancing. The younger children were running around or playing games. Everyone was in fancy party clothes. She had never seen so many children in one place before.

She took a steadying breath and slipped through the heavy doors, and no one turned at her arrival, except for a young woman who had stationed herself just inside the door at the top of the stairs. She was wearing simple servants clothes, a gown tailored for work instead of livery. She must be the announcer. It looked like the children didn't get an official one, but having one at all must be for practice.

The announcer smiled at Amelia as she came in. Amelia suddenly felt shy under her gaze, though it was comforting. She'd never had to do this before, but it was simple enough to say her own name clearly.

"I'm Princess Amelia of Avenor," she said, and she was surprised at how confident she sounded.

"I know who you are, princess," the announcer said warmly, giving a little bow. With that she turned to the room, announcing her in the loudest voice Amelia thought she'd ever heard. "Princess Amelia of Avenor!"

Before Amelia could step forward, the announcer gave her a little wink. "Welcome to Gell," she whispered, so softly. Amelia almost couldn't believe this was the same person who had just shouted moments ago.

Barely anyone had actually paid attention to the announcer's words, but a few older children did turn their heads to look. She was a new face, certainly people would be interested. No one approached her as she made her way down the stairs.

Instead of dancing, which she thought might require a partner even at the children's ball considering all the couples currently swaying by the band, she headed towards a food table, careful not to nudge anyone on her way. No one seemed to pay her much attention, for which she found herself grateful.

She made her way halfway around the room before a couple of girls about her age parted away from her, as if repelled. She turned to look at what they were parting for, hoping that they weren't scared of her, when she saw a young boy approaching her. She stopped, thinking of Gellish dances and proper pleasantries.