Chapter 10 - Dangerous Looks

James turned to the door, catching her gaze, and Lily blanched, twisting away from his shocked face. She slammed the door and fled down the stairs, rational thought leaving her mind.

James had frozen, not being able to move as his brain overloaded with thoughts.

How long had she been standing there?

Why was she watching me?

Oh my god! She was watching me!

The Marauder groaned into his hand and rubbed his eyes.

Why? Why did she have to see me now?

He sighed and got off of the bed, walking over to the drawers. Pulling out some of the Muggle clothes he had bought, he dressed quickly after using his wand to remove all the traces of his actions, thinking of ways that he could speak to her after this. He tried not to think of her never speaking to him again as he pulled on a pair of jeans, fastening them without really thinking about it.

James paused and ran over the situation in his mind, cringing slightly in embarrassment.

'What am I gonna do?' he whispered.

James reluctantly walked towards the door and opened it quietly, shutting it behind him. Cursing the creaky floorboards, he made his way down the stairs and stepped into the hall.

Sound was coming from the kitchen and he could tell it was her. She was washing the dishes, he realised as he walked into the room. Lily had her back to him, rapidly scouring the plates and trying to rid her mind of watch she'd just witnessed. She wouldn't have cared exactly if it hadn't affected her...and he didn't moan her na...

'Lily?'

SMASH

Lily dropped a china plate into the bowl and it smashed as it hit the others that were in there. Ignoring the broken plate, she paused, not turning to look at him. In fear that if she did, she might do something that she would...regret.

'Don't.' she whispered, 'Please...just don't do this.'

James looked at the girl, her auburn hair shining in the light from the sun. He blinked and shook his head, trying to keep on the right track. Moving further in to the room, Lily straightened up, hearing his actions and keeping her guard.

'How long were you standing there?' he said softly.

Lily hissed to herself and shook her head slightly, as if trying to stop his voice penetrating her thoughts. Lily also didn't know the answer to his question. Time seemed insignificant while she was watching him, and she felt herself liquefy against the scrutiny of his gaze on her back.

Why is he doing this?

Does he enjoy seeing me like this?

Lily heard him shift behind her again, and she closed her eyes firmly. The vision wouldn't stop blurring her thoughts. It was as if it was burned into her retinas; like she'd stared at a light for too long and the picture was still visible when she looked away.

A hand touched her shoulder and she spun around to face the scruffy haired Marauder. Her breath caught in her throat as they looked at each other. James eyes searching her face and Lily's like a deer caught in the headlights.

'God, I want to kiss her,' he thought to himself.

But before he could lean in, she broke from his gaze and twisted out of the way of him. James looked at her as she eyed him cautiously.

'Lil...what are you doing?'

She folded her arms, bit her lip and shrugged in his direction. Lily literally didn't know, she had never been in this situation before and she decided that she didn't like the uneasy feeling that it caused.