Chapter 12 - Nightmares & Daydreams

The next morning Lily woke up thinking it had been a dream. She just couldn't believe that what had happened was true; James Potter - her biggest enemy - had come into her room, kissed her and told her he loved her.

Her mind just screamed, 'Nightmare...nightmare...of course it wasn't real...don't be so stupid!'

But inside...deep inside, she knew the truth. She had felt him place that soft kiss on her forehead; she knew she couldn't dream a touch like that. She had heard the words that escaped his lips in a whisper.

Lily cringed as she sat at her vanity table, looking closely at her reflection. The soft red waves tumbled over her shoulders and down her back, her emerald eyes searching her face for answers that she just didn't have. They had to come from the boy that created the questions. She groaned at the thought of asking him.

Damn, why does this have to be so complicated?

Lily could remember the exact time she woke up. She had woken feeling lips press against the sensitivity of her palm, and the strange feeling of breathy words crossing over her skin. When she got past the thought of a madman in her bedroom and realised exactly that it was James, she had opened her eyes just enough that she could make out dull shapes but not enough that he would see her watching him.

The words that fell from his lips easily had startled her slightly. She didn't understand...how did he want things different? He hated himself?

What was all that? More lies? Or...something different?

Lily really didn't know...didn't want to know...didn't want to find out if the random thoughts that flitted through her brain were just her mind running in overdrive or...a real knowledge of the issue.

'Well why would he lie to you while he thought you were asleep?' her mind argued.

God knows! Maybe because he's twisted that way!

'But maybe it wasn't like that! You can overreact you know.'

What is this? The Recapture of the Fairytale Romance Movement?

'Don't be so bitter!' her mind snapped, 'You could really have something special!'

Ugh! Pur-lease! Potter wouldn't know how to work a serious relationship if it came with step-by-step instructions!

'Well if he is such a cold-hearted git, tell me how you managed to find yourself in bed last night?'

WHAT? You can't be suggesting...

'Oh come on, you knew it was in the back of your mind!'

What I know is that I'm arguing with myself! I must be going crazy!

The other voice stopped abruptly and Lily looked back at her reflection in the mirror. She quickly realised that she over-applied her make-up; going far past the subtlety look.

'Damn it!' she moaned, looking at the dark mascara, 'I look like an over-enthusiastic whore!'

Lily grabbed a couple of tissues, stood up and walked to the bathroom door. She had loved the idea of having an en suite bathroom in her room, but the novelty flew out of her mind due to the present make-up issue. She reached for the door handle, turning it and stepping into the plush white room. Making a beeline for the sink, she ran the tap and placed the tissues into the running water. The tissues wet, she lifted them up and looked in the mirror.

A cough on the other side of the room caused her to glance into the mirror, and yelp when she saw James' reflection. Lily spun around quickly, dropping the forgotten tissues onto the flawless tiled floor.