Forty-Three

"You okay Ash? You seem quiet tonight?" Amelia asks as they drive away from Michael and Crystal's house, having just dropped Ezra off before heading to AA.

"I'm nervous." he admits, sighing quite loudly as he does.

"Why?"

"The article. The whole world knows I attend an AA meeting in LA on Thursday nights. That can't be too hard for people to find, the fans are better than detectives a lot of the time. I don't want the fans to ruin this for everyone else in the meetings. Especially you."

"That's why you've been driving this thing around instead of the mustang isn't it? You know that car is a lot more recognizable than this one."

"Ya. I'm hoping to get in and out of the meeting without drawing attention to me or you or anyone."

"We're all going to be okay Ash. Everything is going to be okay. If we have to find a new meeting we will. But we are going to get through this, and we are going to do it together."

"Thank you Mils. That means a lot to me to hear."

"It's nice to be the one offering support rather than taking it for once." She half laughs, running her fingertips over the veins in the back of his hand.

"I'm grateful for it Mils, and all the encouragement and support you offer silently everyday, but especially for asking, and being aware of me and my moods even when I'm not overly open."

"I'm good at reading people, because I'm good at hiding from them, but also because everyone in my life before you has been here to use me. So when I notice something is off with you, my favorite person in the world, I can't not try to fix it."

"Thanks." Ashton nods, lacing their fingers before lifting her hand to press a kiss to the back of her knuckles.

"Anything for you." She nods, laying her head sideways until it rests against his shoulder across the console. 

"Nothing seems off." Amelia sits up fully as Ashton pulls into the parking lot at the school, parking as close to the doors as he can, wanting to give the least amount of time or opportunity for someone to get a picture of Amelia.

"That is almost scarier." He sighs, motioning for her to get out on her own instead of waiting for him to open her door as he usually fights her to do.

"You're really afraid aren't you." She frowns, nearly jogging to catch up to him as he hurries towards the doors with his head tucked downward.

"I don't want them to follow me here, to expose you to that part of my life anymore than they already have. To make this an unwelcome place for anyone, or make anyone else here feel uncomfortable." He shrugs, letting her pass under his arm and through the door into the school.

"Hey. I'm going to be okay Ash. We are both going to be okay, and they don't care about anyone else in this meeting, and they will leave them alone." She stops him, pulling him to the side of the hallway and making him stop and look at her.

"I just, I want to protect you Mils." He sighs, rubbing his hands up and down her biceps as he tries to calm himself.

"I know, it's cute. But I promise, I've been through hell a lot worse than being accused of dating the most amazing guy in the world. An accusation that is actually a fact if you don't remember."

"I'm scared they will tear you apart for your past, I don't want them to hurt you like that."

"My past is not yours to protect. They are my mistakes, and I own all of them, even the painful ones. Without all of them, I would never have met you."