The Murder - Chapter 1

Two Weeks Earlier

Mary was preparing for her night shift as a nurse at the Croix Valley Medical Center. Her shift was starting at 9pm, and she had just finished eating dinner with her live in police boyfriend, Donovan. He himself had rushed away after finishing his meal to start his own shift at the local police department a few blocks away.
She glanced at the watch for the umpteenth time and realised she had about an hour and a half before her friend, Judy picked her up at 20:30 for their shift.
At that moment her doorbell rang, and without any second thoughts she called for the person on the other side to enter since the door was still unlocked after Don's departure.

Judy struggled to make sense of things. Whatever they gave her, did not only knock some sleep into her but seems to have wiped part of the reality. She knew something was wrong, and she knew what it was but made every effort not to believe it.
She was used to enter these hospital wards during her rounds as a nurse, but this sad morning she was occupying one as a patient. She was being treated for shock after she was discovered in her friend, Mary's house, unconscious the night before.
She was believed to have fainted when she discovered the bloody body of her murdered friend, while she went to pick her up.
After Mary and Judy failed to show up at the hospital for their shifts, the hospital tried to reach her by calling her landline, but when they could not get hold of her they called Donovan at his place of work, and he rushed to the apartment he shared with Mary.

Upon arrival, he noticed that Judy's car was parked right infront of the apartment but there was no one inside.