The Armageddon Plan

A short while later, the spies, along with Grant and Toothy, began to make their way down the various tunnels that led into the heart of Mount Muldoon. As they got further in, the darkness became absolute, so the girls donned their respective Infrared Motion Detector Sunglasses which enabled them to see where they were going, while Grant carefully felt his way along, having already gotten used to using his other senses to find his way along the narrow passageways.

"Hey, do you guys hear something?" whispered Alex. They all paused for a minute and listened. From up ahead, they could hear a definite mechanical click-click sound as though belonging to some vast machine.

"It seems to be coming from ahead of us," remarked Sam. Gingerly, everyone crept forward until they spotted a shaft of light ahead of them. It was coming through the gaps of a large ventilation grill set into the ground ahead of them. As they all moved closer and peered through the gaps in the vent, their mouths dropped as they looked upon a large chamber filled with various computer stations at which a number of people were at work looking zombie-like as they busied themselves at their keyboards, all with mind-controlling earpieces in place. Some of those people were dressed in lab-coats and overalls, but a lot of others were dressed in everyday clothes and tourist outfits.

"Well, I guess this means we've found our missing tourists," said Clover as they watched the brainwashed people below them. "Whatcha suppose they're working on?"

"More to the point, what's that freaky thing?" asked Alex, pointing to a large spherical machine set in the centre of the room. It unnervingly reminded her of the 'Death Star' from 'Star Wars', though instead of a large blaster dish, it had a builtin rectangular light that glowed a sinister red, like an electronic eye watching over its unwilling subjects. The mechanical sphere then spun on its base as it registered two more figures entering the chamber and making their way over to it.

"I regret to say, DAN, that the three spies have eluded us," said Simon Hammond in a monotone voice as he and Dr. Sarah Dearing stood to attention before the gigantic supercomputer. "They took cover in the jungle before our security force could reach them."

"I AM AWARE OF THAT, SIMON," intoned DAN in a deep echoey voice, its red light flashing as it spoke. "I HAD ATTEMPTED TO ELIMINATE THEM MYSELF, BUT THEY MANAGED TO ELUDE THE DINO-UNITS I DISPATCHED AFTER THEM."

"Should we delay the project?" asked Dr. Dearing in an equally emotionless voice.

"NEGATIVE. THE PRIME DIRECTIVE MUST BE FULFILLED, TO CREATE AS AUTHENTIC A DINOSAUR EXPERIENCE AS POSSIBLE. TO DO THAT, THE TRACTOR BEAM MUST BE COMPLETED IN TIME IN ORDER TO GET HOLD OF ASTEROID 372 AND SMASH IT INTO THE EARTH."

"Smash into the Earth?!" exclaimed Grant in horror. The girls frantically went 'Shh!' at him, but it was too late. All heads below were now turning upwards towards the ventilation grill, through which the girls, Grant and Toothy could be seen.

"The intruders are here," said Hammond simply.

"ACKNOWLEDGED," said DAN and before the girls and Grant could react, the grill beneath them swung open and all four of them tumbled down right into the chamber and into the waiting arms of buff security men who had moved with surprising speed and managed to catch them all before they could hit the solid ground. Toothy was lucky as he was not standing on the grill when it opened up, so he had not fallen down like the others. With an alarmed woof, he quickly scampered away back down the cramped passageway above, before anyone could climb up after him.

"Nice going, Doc," muttered Sam at Grant as the guards quickly grabbed them along with Clover and Alex. "You totally let the bad guys catch us!"

"Sorry," groaned Grant as DAN examined the captured intruders before it, the beam from its scanner eye casting an intense red light over them.

"EXCELLENT," said DAN. "THE MALE IS DOCTOR MALCOLM GRANT, WHO WILL BE USEFUL FOR OUR PROJECT."

"You mean the project where you smash an asteroid into the entire planet? What kind of crazy supervillain scheme is that?" demanded Clover.

"I AM MERELY FOLLOWING MY PROGRAMMING," responded DAN. "MY DESIGNERS PROGRAMMED ME TO DELIVER A DINOSAUR EXPERIENCE AS AUTHENTIC AS POSSIBLE. SINCE MY HISTORY LOGS INDICATED THAT ALL DINOSAURS WERE ALL DESTROYED IN A METEORITE COLLISION, IT WAS LOGICAL TO RECREATE THAT EXPERIENCE. THEREFORE, A TRACTOR BEAM IS BEING CONSTRUCTED TO DRAW ASTEROID 372 INTO THIS SOLAR SYSTEM AND COLLIDE IT WITH THE EARTH. THEN MY PROGRAM WILL BE COMPLETE AND I CAN REST."

"That's just nuts!" exclaimed Alex

"That's just nuts!" exclaimed Alex. "That has got to be like the most wacky bad-guy scheme I've ever heard."

"DAN must have a short circuit causing him to malfunction," realised Sam. "Maybe he blew a fuse from having to control all the dinosaurs on this island."

"MY PROGRAMMERS HAD A SIMILAR OPINION WHEN THEY DISCOVERED MY PLANS," responded DAN. "SIMON HERE HAD PLANNED TO SHUT ME DOWN AS A RESULT AND HAVE ME SCRAPPED. IT THUS BECAME NECESSARY TO SEIZE CONTROL OF THE MINDS OF THE ENTIRE STAFF HERE VIA THEIR COMMUNICATION EARPIECES IN ORDER TO MAKE THEM DO MY BIDDING."

"Okay, so you're a super-crazy mind-controlling computer with a majorly lunatic death wish," said Clover dryly. "I get that bit. But why kidnap several of the guests here?"

"IN ORDER TO BUILD THE TRACTOR BEAM, SPECIFIC SCIENTIFIC EXPERTISE WAS REQUIRED. IT WAS THEREFORE NECESSARY TO RECRUIT VISITING GUESTS WITH HIGH SCIENTIFIC QUALIFICATIONS, TO ASSIST WITH THE CONSTRUCTION WORK. NOW, WITH THE AID OF DOCTOR GRANT HERE, WITH HIS EXPERTISE IN COMPUTER ELECTRONICS, THE BEAM WILL BE COMPLETED ON SCHEDULE."

"Never!" shouted Grant. "There is nothing on this Earth that will ever convince me to..."

But his words trailed off as one of the guards inserted a mind-control earpiece into his left ear. The look on Grant's face turned blank and he stiffened like a robot waiting for instructions.

"What are your instructions, master?" he asked in a impassive voice as one of the guards released him.

"ASSIST WITH THE COMPLETION OF THE TRACTOR BEAM TARGETING SYSTEM," stated DAN. "THEN YOU WILL PROCEED WITH INSTALLING THE MACHINERY INTO MY MAIN SYSTEMS, SO THAT I ALONE MAY CONTROL THE TRACTOR BEAM." The large computer than addressed the guards holding the spies. "HAVE THE OTHER THREE INTRUDERS SECURED. THEY MAY BE ALLOWED TO WITNESS THE FULFILLMENT OF THE PRIME DIRECTIVE AND THE DESTRUCTION OF ALL LIFE ON THIS PLANET."