Chapter 8: Together Again

22:15

Once she reached him, Ascella wrapped her arms around a considerably taller Regulus. She pulled away and realised that she no longer looked down on him, but rather he looked down on her.
"Hi, Reggie."
"I sure hope that's not all you've got to say after five years." 
"Of course not! I've got lots to say, but I'd rather tell you and Sirius."
"Oh please, you just want more time to think of something to say."
"You can't be mean to me Regulus, I'm a lady now."
"Yeah right."

They made their way over to Sirius, who was stood with a large group of people, all laughing and smiling at one another. Ascella got a strange feeling in her stomach. Sirius had promised not to replace her, but that was years ago.Could he have broken that promise and found someone better? He did seem to be especially enjoying the company of an Indian boy with glasses and messy dark hair. Ascella shook off that feeling. Sirius was her brother, he wouldn't forget about her even after five years. 

She approached Sirius and he turned to face her. They just stared at each other a while, too happy to speak. There is a myth that twins can communicate telepathically, but that is all it is. A myth. Ascella wished that it was true, for talking to Sirius through her mind would have helped when she was locked up and knew he was in the next room but couldn't go there. It would also have helped now, when she wanted to say a million things all at once but couldn't say any of them. When she finally brought up the courage to speak, her voice came out a happy whisper.
"Sirius." she breathed
"Ascella." 

Then came more unnecessary eye contact before Sirius continued,
"Am I allowed to hug you or are you to sophisticated for that now?"
"Of course you can hug me, you dolt!"
Sirius wrapped his arms around Ascella, who somehow was only an inch or so shorter than him. Well, Sirius never was going to be the tall one, that had always been Regulus. They pulled away, for they had been hugging long enough for their parents to notice and that was never good.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friends, Sirius?" He nodded, gesturing to his friends and then Ascella.
"Friends, this is Ascella. Ascella, friends."
She scoffed, "That's not a very good introduction." She turned to the boy with glasses.
"Ascella Black." 
"Hang on," the boy said, "I know all this pureblood malarkey." He took her hand and kissed it. "James Potter." 

Ascella introduced herself to two boys, a tall lanky brunette with strange scars and a round blond boy. They kissed her hand and introduced themselves as Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. When Ascella turned, there were four girls, who had also been part of Sirius' laughing group of friends. A blonde one with a button nose stepped forward, curtseying.
"Marlene McKinnon." Ascella curtseyed back.
"Ascella Black." 
"Me and Dorcas," Marlene gestured at a girl with large dark curls, "We know all this pureblood rubbish too."
The girl Marlene had called Dorcas introduced herself next, then a girl with lighter brown curls and heavily shadowed eyes introduced herself as Mary MacDonald. The final girl to introduce herself was Lily Evans, a girl with long red hair, that had been braided with little flowers, and freckles upon freckles. Ascella thought this girl was quite pretty, she rather wanted to be Lily's friend. 

She turned back to Sirius, 
"God, if I have to say my name one more time, I shall simply faint. It was nice to meet you all but I shall go dance with Regulus now." Ascella stepped closer to Sirius and whispered, "I'll talk to you again in a bit, but Mother and Father are watching and-"
"I understand, Cella, go dance with Reggie."

Ascella and Regulus got to the center of the ballroom and assumed the waltz position just as the music started. Their dance had begun.