Sixth Grade

Evan: *from the table next to Kalisha* What the hell are you eating? Some sort of mud? Is that what you people eat? Do us all a favor and eat it faster because it stinks.

(friends join in his mocking laughter)

Kalisha: *mumbles* It’s just curry.

Evan: What, can you not even speak properly?

Kalisha: *looks away in shame*

Simone: *glares at her friend* What’s wrong with you, Evan?

Evan: *looks at her in disbelief* You’re defending her?

Simone: Yeah, I am. She’s just trying to eat her food. She’s not bothering you, so stop bothering her.

Evan: *scoffs* If you like her so much, why don’t you go sit with her?

Simone: *pushes herself up from the table* Fine, I will. I don’t even know why I bother sitting with you jerks now that Kate doesn’t come to this school anymore.

Evan: *mouth drops in shock*

Simone: *sits down* Hey! You’re Kalisha, right?

Kalisha: *nods shyly*

Simone: Sorry about Evan. He’s a jerk. I honestly don’t even know why I hang out with them anymore.

Kalisha: *whispers* Thank you.

Simone: I’m sorry, what did you say? I didn’t hear you.

Kalisha: *a little louder* Thank you. For standing up for me. 

Simone: *beams* You’re welcome. You know what, I think we’re going to be good friends.