Eleventh Grade

(writes “I Can’t Breathe” on her hand in the morning) 

David: *stares at her hand* You can’t breathe? What’s that supposed to mean? 

Kalisha: You haven’t heard? 

David: About what? 

Kalisha: Yesterday, the grand jury in New York decided not to indict the police officer who killed an unarmed black man through an illegal choke hold. In other words, they let a murderer go free. Just because he’s a police officer. 

David: That’s… terrible. It is. But how does that have anything to do with you? 

Kalisha: *looks at him in disbelief* What do you mean? It has everything to do with everyone! The grand jury pretty much decided that the life of a black man doesn’t matter. What kind of world do we live in if an innocent person can be killed and the killer can just walk away without facing any punishments? It’s a breach of liberty. It goes against basic human rights. 

David: *raises hands in defeat* Okay, okay. I get that you’re mad about it. I still think you’re overreacting. I hate to say it, but the police kill people all the time. It’s just the way things are. 

Kalisha: Oh, and I’m just supposed to accept that? Accept the fact that the government allows innocent people to be killed by the police? Accept the fact that in the eyes of the law, my life doesn’t matter? 

David: Never mind, okay? Forget I said anything.

Kalisha: *shakes her head in disbelief and anger*