3

I knew this would happen. Never trust me when I say I'll take a short nap because although the sun was up when I went to sleep, it surely isn't now. I turn my eyes towards the camp, many hilichurls have gone to sleep, I didn't even notice the little samachurl sleeping in my lap until I heard it's snores. I decide not to bother it, seeing as it would need a lot of rest to heal up. Instead I decide to gently rake my hand through its hair, softly untangling it and removing plants. I even put little braids in the hair, seeing as it was quite long. I almost let out a scream when I felt the touch of a large hand against my back.
"You are awake, why?" Kumo asks.
"I am not very tired anymore." I reply. He send me a gesture that shows he understands before shuffling back to his spot.
"Why aren't you sleeping?" I ask him.
"I keep guard. I go to sleep late at night." He explains. We go back to comfortable silence before I decide I've overstayed my welcome. I start to repack my clearly inspected bag and trying to nudge the Sama off of me.
Unexpectedly, it woke up despite my best efforts and bonked me on the head before grumbling about something.
"He says he doesn't like when you move him. You are soft. Very small." After a bit more grumbling Kumo adds,
"He says you smell like the flowers that grow on the cliff side." He finishes. The Sama bounces expectantly as Kumo translates for him.
I guess it can't be helped?
I let out a small chuckle before gently laying the Sama back in my lap. It gives a noise of content before nuzzling close and falling back to sleep.
"Stay the night. Too dark for you to go home."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes. You are our friend. Go to sleep."
I smile brightly at the comment and lay back down on the makeshift bed....
Didn't I fall asleep near the entrance of the hut? Someone must've moved me.
I shrug off the thought and decide to close my eyes again but sleep never came. It wasn't that I was uncomfortable, the bed was surprisingly soft, but I guess that "nap" from earlier threw off my schedule. I puff my cheeks as I try to stop myself from yelling in frustration.
"I'm not sleepy." I mumble mainly to myself.
"Why?" Kumo shuffles back towards me. I shift a bit so I could face him properly.
"I'm too energetic." I say. The Sama rolls so it's next to me and not on top of me and I take this as a chance to sit up.
"Can I keep watch with you?" I ask nervously. Kumo pats the spot next to him and I take that as a sign of approval. Quietly, I shuffle my way next to him.
"Name?" He asks. I tilt my head in confusion.
"Your name. What is it?" He adds.
"Oh, I see. My name is Y/n." I tell him.
"Y/n." He tries my name out.
"Tomo. I like it." He compliments. I thank him, watching as the sun starts to illuminate the sky in vibrant reds, pinks, and yellows. As if on cue, the archers awake and take their positions at the towers.
I decide to at least help out and get a fire started for the pot, but upon seeing the contents I deadpan.
"No good!" I say to myself.
"Kumo? Where do you keep your food?" I ask. He points to crates near a tower and I check them to see meats, vegetables, and fruits.... But no spices or herbs.
"I'll be back." I announce, emptying my bag and taking it with me outside the camp.
I will under no circumstances allow them to eat bland and tasteless food. Especially the Sama.
I gather herbs to bring out and enhance flavor and search for other things to possibly make a dish out of. I swear I need to bring spices to them.
The trip wasn't as long, and I rush back before they can even think about boiling meat and calling it a meal. I make it just in time as Sama was about to be given a bowl of.... boiled chicken.
"Nope!" I snatch the bowl and drain the pot. The churls were disappointed but we're still curious to see what I was doing. Using a small knife I chopped and diced different cuts of meat and veggies to make a soup, mainly for Sama seeing as he still has pain. I will have to pluck Aether when he returns. Where even is he? I snap out of that train of thought and continue cooking, soon the smell of the soup seemed to be just about right, but there was something missing. Scanning over, I decided to add some peppers to give it a nice kick, simply cutting it finely. After the soup was done, I divide it into bowls for the camp of 8 members, 9 if you include me.
"Mosi! Let's eat!" I cheer happily as I watch the hilichurls dig in, dancing and laughing while chowing down on the food. Sama seats himself in my lap and slurps down the broth, kicking his feet and singing random words.
"Mosi da? Are you eating well?" I ask Sama and he cheers before running off somewhere.
"Kumo? I have your bowl right here." I say, bringing him his portion. His bowl is obviously bigger than the rest so figuring out who's it belonged to was not a hard task.
He thanks me and takes a sip of the scolding hot soup. How are they able to hold and eat food just off the fire? I would have to ask later.
"Taste good. Really good." He flashes me a smile and I can finally see it since he moved that mask. He has human features from what I can see, if you don't count the more sharper teeth. I send him a small nod before getting up and playing with Sama.

A/N: I thought it'll be cute if Y/n started referring to the Samachurl as just Sama instead of "the" Sama. Like a big brother or parental figure for him 😂
Byeeeee ✌🏾