14

The soft crunching of snow beneath my feet was enough to keep my mind tethered to reality. The sun reflected it's rays against the surface, making it difficult to keep my eyes on it for too long. We walked briskly in the early morning, being careful as to stay hidden from any peering eyes. That didn't stop us from conversing among ourselves though, especially since there was apparently so much to talk about.

"Honey gone."

"Want more tea?"

"Why we move so early?"

The comments were random but they served well as to lighten the mood. I glance back at Ku, watching once again as he shifts into "watch mode" before dragging behind to walk by his side once more. He immediately ruffled my hair, seeming to remember my earlier stunt but besides that he was neutral. I examine his features again out of full admiration and notice something I've disregarded for a while.

"Why is your hair black while the others are lighter?" I ask.

"Not sure." He pauses for a moment as if he's wondering the same thing. I stifle a laugh which turns into a drawn out yawn.

"You didn't sleep last night." He states, looking at me disapprovingly. I shrug in response and send him a coy smile.

"I'll sleep later." I wave my hand dismissively and Ku rolls his eyes in response.

Trailing my eyes away from the taller male, I look towards the sky and notice how high the sun has gotten. I deadpan to myself, realizing I was sleep walking for a good portion of the time and hence, I don't remember half of what happened. In a last resort to wake up, I remove my hood from my head and pick up some snow to throw on my face. The cold powder was instantly wiped of by a large hand.

"Why you do that?" Vopa questions in shock, her tone revealing she is seconds close to whacking me on the back of my head.

"To wake myself up." I sigh in defeat. At least it worked and I was able to be fully conscious for the remainder of the conversation. When my eyes started to become heavy once more, I reached down to get more snow only to be stopped and and hoisted into the air.

"Stop." A simple word was spoken as I was slung onto the shoulder of my partner. I bite my tongue after opening my mouth to protest, a familiar memory popping up in my head regarding a hunting trip. I mumble a thank you in his ear and snuggle up on against his fluffy hair to doze off.

When my eyes open again, I'm met with the mask of a hilichurl, but one that is unfamiliar. I lean away from their face, to release the awkwardness and notice others who are not from our family. I tilt my head in confusion and the hilichurl does the same, sitting down in a position adjacent to mine. We sit in silence for a while, every move of mine mimicked to no avail.

Feeling a bit weirded out, I stand up to look for Ku and the others only to find them conversing with the other group.

"Ah, Da Odomu! We see frins." Nihe waves me over. I briefly correct her pronunciation and sit next to her, the strange hilichurl following with a pep in his step. I can't help but stare at his odd attire that differentiates from the clothing adorned by other churls in his group. His silver-blue hair seemed to contrast nicely against his orange colored accessories and his gloved hands were folded neatly in his lap. My eyes trail to the briefcase next to him which peaked my interest. Suddenly he shifts next to me at an uncomfortably close range.

"You're odd." He says. My eyes widen in shock.

"So are you." I retort. The strange hilichurl emits a cackling laugh, holding his stomach dramatically.

"Why are you dressed like that?" I ask, finally finding my voice after a short while.

"My name is Wei." He sticks his hand out and ignores my question entirely.

I sigh and take his hand, only to withdraw it after feeling a cold substance. He laughs again, revealing slime condensate on his hand before flicking it off somewhere. I shake my head with another sigh and take his hand again to shake it.

"My name is Y/n." I introduce myself. He jolts, not expecting me to be calm after his little prank but I'm not a person to get angry.

"Why are you with hilichurls?" He asks me. I puff out my cheeks in thought and simply tell him how I "adopted" the group. We converse for a bit, telling each other stories although his are far more interesting than mine.

"I have to check on Ku." I say and stand up only to be pulled back down.

"They're fine, stay and chat." Wei states but I simply send him a small smile.

"It'll only take a minute." I wave him off and walk towards Kumo who is conversing with a geo samachurl. I can understand the conversation but some words are lost between the language barrier. From what I can understand, the geo samachurl (who I will just call Gama) was telling Kumo about a rock he found and Kumo was trying his best not to bore the young churl. I quickly step in to save the poor guy with my own remarks about Sama having crystals and how he'll be happy to show the other. Gama sprinted away, quick to make conversation with the the anemo user, leaving me and Ku alone.

"What's going on?" I question him. He motions for me to sit with him so I oblige and make myself comfortable on his side.

"The groups might join. We need a bigger camp." He informs and I nod to show I'm listening. I glance at his face just to discover it is once again masked.

"I have hidden jelly if you want some." I whisper mischievously.

"Now is not the time. Are you not worried?" He leans his head on mine with a wary tone.

"About what?"

"New churls in the group, unfamiliar faces." He starts off.

"But wouldn't it be safer that way?" I ask, not seeing his point. He pauses for a moment before laughing lowly.

"Also, have you met Wei?" I bring up. He hums a yes which causes me to jump up in interest.

"We've met a long time ago. He came to talk about a mage nearby. Nothing too bad, it's in the past." He enlightens. I slump down, seeing the obvious signs that Ku is thinking hard on something so I leave him time to think and leave a nice braid in his hair.

"You said it'll only take a minute." Wei pops in with his arms crossed. I apologize sheepishly, still attached to Ku's side. The wind mellowed out a bit but the cold still nipped at my skin, causing me to snuggle closer and hum in satisfaction.

"I have other things to do anyways." He shrugs before quite literally disappearing. I nearly lose my jaw with how far it dropped but regained my composure when another yawn ripped through my body.

"Ku, do you wanna sleep with me for a bit?"

I get another hummed agreement as we reposition ourselves.

My thoughts drift to Wei for a second and I can't help but think,

What an Unusual Hilichurl.

Bun-buns, I've neglected you far too long. Also, 5.29 reads and 132 votes? Holy sugar honey iced tea! I'm tired and it's 2:24 AM, but I still have another 2,000 words to write in my other book so I guess i can't sleep yet. Or should I put it off for tomorrow?

I redownloaded Genshin for this book and spent two hours just walking around Mondstadt to find proper setting. I also read into so many recipes and creatures.