Chapter 16 : Emergency contact.

"You didn't fill out this part."

The surgeon, Dr. Hale, points to the incomplete part among the tons of paperwork Buck just filled out and signed.

"It's not an omission." Buck replies, in his hospital gown, doing his best to ignore how much it brings back bad memories.

The surgeon exchanges a puzzled look with his intern, Doctor Valenti.

Of all the hospitals in the city, he had to go to a teaching hospital... He can thank Eddie, who brought him here last time after all.

Buck swears that if anything goes wrong this time again... Well, he doesn't know what he'll do, but one thing is for sure, he won't deal with it. He doesn't want to have to deal with it. It's hard enough as it is.

"Mr. Buckley, if there are any complications... I need to let someone know."

Buck raises an eyebrow.

"There will be no one to inform because there will be no complications. Because you told me you were able to fix this without any problems."

The surgeon holds back a sigh and stretches a sympathetic smile.

"I did say that. But none of us can predict what can happen once we're in the OR. There may be several complications, and we've listed them for you, just as there may be nothing. Only, if there is, I need to know who I can warn."

Buck watches him for a few seconds in silence, and for a moment the surgeon thinks he's convinced him.

"That part will remain blank." Buck finally responds and this time the surgeon doesn't hide his sigh, but eventually nods and hands the papers over to his intern.

"Then we're ready to go." He states calmly.

"Good." Buck nods.

As Buck lies on the operating table and the anesthetic is injected, during the few seconds of fog, his eyes search the room for Eddie. But all there is is doctors in blue scrubs and his eyes close before he can find Eddie's sweet face.

His eyes close and there is only darkness.

Him, in the dark, alone with his fears.

The first awakening is a blur. He vaguely remembers opening his eyes, recognizing the white walls of a hospital room and seeing a doctor's face, then closing them again.

The second awakening is more difficult, as he suspected. He is more or less conscious this time, although he feels exhausted, and his throat hurts, probably because of the intubation.

He's never been able to stand the anesthesia.

So it's not surprising when he starts vomiting and has intense headaches.

Nothing he's not used to.

The pain in his leg, however, is much worse.

Just as bad as the other two times.

He answers basic questions from the surgical intern while the surgeon checks his vitals. When the questions end, the surgeon smiles at him, dipping his hands into his scrubs pockets.

"Everything went very well. We were able to remove all the equipment and replace it with titanium material, as agreed." He explains and Buck nods. "How's the pain?" He then asks, probably noticing the grimace of discomfort that crosses his face.

"Nothing I can't handle."

"Look, I don't know what your reasons are for refusing to take any type of painkiller, but if it's an addiction, just know that--"