Ignored Protests

"She eez too young!" Fleur protested angrily, stomping her foot. Her golden hair seemed to be floating and there was a slight glow in her blue eyes. Something in her voice sang of doom. Harriet noted that this was what an angry veela looked like. It was rather intimidating.

"I have to agree with my fellow champion," Diggory stated, somehow sounding like a news anchor in a debate, "Harriet is clearly under seventeen and obviously did not put her name in the goblet of fire. She should not have to compete."

Harriet nodded. She wanted out of this. She was probably missing the snack exchange in the dorm as well...

"I am with them on this matter." Krum said his russian accent capturing everyone's attention. At least Harriet could finally place where he was from. "It would bring no benefit to the school or to her personally. I suggest she be released from the contract."

The one hand in Krum's pocket seemed a warning of it's own for some reason.

"I stand behind the three champions." Karkaroff made his position very clear. "I do believe that this contest suggests a little maturity that I, at fourteen, would not have possessed."

Harriet tried not to feel offended by that.

"I agree." Madame Maxime declared, placing a hand on Fleur's shoulder. "Eet is un problem we must solve as soon as possible."

"I wish I could say there is something we can do about it," Dumbledore said calmly, "However, I fear that the rules state that, if someones name is chosen, they are bound by irreversible, magical contract, that forces them to participate."

Of course the senile old coot would say that. Harriet debated throwing something at him. Perhaps that would get her removed? Or killed? Was it worth the risk?

"Quite right," Bartemius Crouch, a ministry official, agreed. He served no function except the supervision of the tournament. He was actually head of the department of law enforcement and head of the department of international magical cooperation. He had a house elf named Winky.

Harriet tuned into the argument again, just in time to hear Crouch say, "There is nothing I can do, she is, and will remain, a tri-wizard champion."

The torches on the walls flickered, casting an eerie light which matched the feeling in the room perfectly. One went out along with Harriets hopes of not competing.

'Merlin's smelly old socks,' Harriet thought shaking, 'I am so screwed.'

"Well then," Dumbledore said, "I suppose that's settled. I would ask the teachers to accompany their students back to their dormitorys."

The teachers grabbed their students and pulled them out of the room. The task was definitely easiest for Madam Maxine. Fleur was moved with the ease of moving a flower vase. Krum let Karkaroff tug for a while before following him out of the room and Cedric held the door for Sprout, who had arrived two seconds ago, on the way out.

Snape gave Harriet a jerky nod that indicated that she was to follow him. Not having much of a choice, she did.

Once out of Dumbledore's earshot he stopped sharply and turned to face her.

"You didn't put your name in?" he asked.

"No sir." she answered honestly.

"Very well," Snape said evenly, "I shall accompany you back to your dormitory. I reccomend getting a good nights sleep."

"Yes sir." Harriet said and followed him to the Slytherin common room.

"Good night Potter." Snape said and left before she could answer.

Harriet didn't have a good night.  She tossed and turned, her mind on two things only. One of them was her impending doom. The other was the mission Tom had given her. One was about staying alive and the other was about saving at least part of the world.

When she finally passed out from exaustion, she was plagued by nightmares. She didn't notice Medusa winding herself around her arm to comfort her. The snake was pretty worried about Harriet. She was under a lot of pressure and people kept insisting on adding more. Didn't humans know how to relax? She hissed and snapped a piece of food.

It was nice of her human to provide so many meaty snacks, but a rat every once in a while would be nice as well. We're there any rats? Perhaps one of the other humans wouldn't miss their toad? She could compromise.