xvi

a future without you is a world without colour,
filled with monochrome coldness.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rang loudly and Sivaangi who was at the verge of falling asleep was jolted awake. Rubbing her eyes tiredly, she silently cursed whoever was ringing her doorbell. She swung the door open and Ashwin stood there, dressed in a plain white shirt and navy slacks. He looked incredible.

"Hi," he said and leaned against the door frame.

Sivaangi blinked at him, wondering why he showed up at her doorstep dressed like he was going to an award show.

"Enna..?," she asked, looking at him up and down.

(What?)

Ashwin walked inside her room, and that's when she noticed there was something behind his back. Ashwin turned to her and smiled.

"Pinadi enna?" she asked, curiously.

(What do you have behind you?)

From behind him he brought out a beautiful bouquet of orange blossoms, and thrusted it in her hands. She stared at the bouquet for a moment and looked up at him amused.

"Enna thidirunu?"

(Why suddenly?)

Ashwin shrugged and said, "I have a gift for you."

Sivaangi set the flowers down at her dresser and raised an eyebrow inquiringly. Ashwin held up a finger and said, "One minute," and he disappeared out of the room to emerge a few minutes later empty-handed.

Sivaangi furrowed her eyebrows and Ashwin silently took her hand and made her sit on the bed. Ashwin kneeled down on the floor and said,

"Before I do anything else, I'm gonna say, ithu naa onna force pannavo illa naa nalavan appadi katarthuko illa. Ennaku unakaga ethavathu pananumnu thonichu. Nee yes or no solra, this won't affect that. Nee no sonalum itha na seyven. Okay va?"

(Before I do anything else, I'm gonna say, I'm not trying to force you and create an impression on you. I wanted to do something for you, so I'm doing it. Whether you say yes or no, this won't affect that. Even if you said no, I'd still do this. Okay?)

Sivaangi was trying to comprehend what was going on. It was sudden. She nodded slowly, although she knew already that he wouldn't do anything like that.

Ashwin reached into his pocket and took out a small black box. Sivaangi's breath hitched and she looked at him. He gave her a smile and opened the box. Inside was a beautiful ring, it was band shaped, twines circling through it to meet a glimmering lavender coloured stone. It was one of the most beautiful things she has ever seen. She looked up at him in shock.

He laughed and said, "Don't worry, I'm not proposing."

Sivaangi giggled in response and he said, "I know it seems like that but, it's not that. Unaka ethavathu vanganum thonichu. Namma 6 months onna iruntha appo, naa unnaku ethume seyala. So it's a symbol of my love."

(I know it seems like that but, uts not that. I felt like doing something for you. When we together for 6 months, I never got you anything. So it's a symbol of my love.)

Sivaangi was speechless, still staring at the ring. She felt like this was a dream. She was never a materialistic girl, it never mattered to her that Ashwin never bought her something, but the fact that he thought of it shook her anchors. Too moved to say anything, she whispered faintly, "Thank you."