xxii

14th November 2025

"Ashwin! Padam super. Amazing acting and script, you're making us proud."

(Ashwin! The film was great. Amazing acting and script, you're making us proud.)

Ashwin smiled, "Thanks sir. Unga support ku romba nandri."

(Thank you sir and thanks for your support.)

The producer nodded, "Kandipa. Aama antha break up scene la oru paatu irundadae. Super. Yaar padina?"

(Of course. Who was that singer in that break up song?)

Ashwin's mind went blank for a moment and his assistant answered for him, "Sivaangi Krishnakumar sir."

"Oh I see, beautiful voice. Unga expressions and avunga voice super blend."

(Oh I see, beautiful voice. Your expressions and her voice make a great pair.)

Ashwin faintly smiled, but his mind was someplace else. When he heard that it was Sivaangi that was going to sing, he wanted to go to recording but he decided against it thinking it would make her uncomfortable.

"Okay Ashwin," the producer said snapping him back into reality. "Congrats again. Naanga kelambarom."

(Okay Ashwin. Congrats again. We'll take leave.)

Ashwin sighed and looked at his assistant, "Pugazh enga?"

(Where's Pugazh?)

"Veliya iruntharu."

(He was outside.)

Ashwin walked out of the theatre, spotting Pugazh's bushy hair by the snacks counter. He pulled his mask up so that no one would recognise him and walked over to him.

"Maapla? enna da padam apadi irukam?" Pugazh asked, popping popcorn into his mouth.

(Ashwin? How did they like the film?)

"Nalla irukunu sonnaru."

(They liked it.)

Pugazh nodded, "Pinna epadi namma irukomla padathula."

(Of course, we're there in the film.)

Ashwin moved closer and said, "Machan…" he trailed off hesitantly not sure if he should ask.

"Sollu enna matter?"

(What is it?)

He sighed, "Un thangachi varala?"

(Your sister didn't come?)

Pugazh stopped chewing and fell silent.

"Nee solvenanmna solla vendam."

(You don't have to tell me if you don't want to.)

Pugazh shook his head, "Illa da ava varennu than sonna. Aana yen varala theriyala."

(No bro, she said she'll come. But I don't know why she didn't.)

Ashwin's face hardened, "Ennaku theriyum. Naa iruken la."

(Because I'm here.)

"Appadi lam irukathu da."

(It wouldn't be anything like that .)

Ashwin shook his head, "Illa da. Avaluku enna paaka pudikala athunala varala. Naa inga illana ava vanthur-"

(No, it is like that. She doesn't want to see me. If I wasn't her-)

"Avalo than enna purinju vechurkingala?"

(Is that how you think of me?)

Ashwin turned around at the sound of her voice, and was met with her itself. Her doe eyes were indigant. He always managed to make things worse.