xxviii

Sivaangi nervously tapped her foot against the floor, the anklets gifted by Ashwin jingling alongside.

"Ey, konjam summa iru di. Paaru, jewellery lam kalaiyuthu."

Sivaangi glanced at the mirror. She was all decked up, her saree pleated perfectly with minimum make up. Her jewellery was also not over the top, but enough for her big day. She got up, smoothing her hands over the silk of her saree. She looked at her Anni,

"Anni, ellam okay va nadakum la?"

Rohini closed the make up box she was using, "Aman da. Ellam pakka va arrange paniyachu. Nee thane sonna, kalyanam enjoy pananum tension aaga koodathunu, aprom neeye tension aara?"

Sivaangi bit her lip as she glanced at Rohini's baby bump, "Kalyanam tension illa Anni…"

Rohini met her gaze, "Sivu. Resort suthi extra protection potrukanga. Namala thavira vera yaarum illa. We'll be safe, okay?"

Sivaangi swallowed thickly and nodded, although not fully convinced. "Neenga enga ponalum kooda yaaravathu irukanum okay?"

Rohini smiled and nodded. A knock came through the door and she called out, "Yaaru?"

The door clicked open and for some reason, Sivaangi's heart started to quicken. What if it's Karthik? Or someone else? Did she have a weapon, what about Ann-

Pavitra's smiling face emerged from the corner and Sivaangi sighed in relief. It took a moment for her to catch her breath. Pavitra looked at the both of them,

"Ellam ready ka. Ponna vara solranga."

Rohini grinned widely and got up. She did a once-over of Sivaangi, making sure everything was okay before smiling at her. Sivaangi, despite the morbid circumstances, was feeling giddy. She was getting married. To Ashwin.

Rohini kissed her forehead affectionately, "I'm so proud of you, okay? I'm very happy."

Sivaangi saw her watery eyes and felt herself tear up as well. She sniffed as Pavitra said,

"Aiyo, naa naalu mani neram make-up potathu veena poguthu. Konjam azhama varingala?"

Sivaangi giggled and Rohini let go of her. She adjusted her pleats once more before taking a deep breath. It's gonna be okay, everything will be fine, she told herself.

She walked out of the room, Pavitra and Rohini tailing behind her. They went out to the backyard, and Sivaangi went back to the day she and Ashwin talked here. They escaped away from the world and went to find the moon. She wished to be there again, with no worries of murderers and police but just her, Ashwin and the dazzling moon.

Despite the time crunch, Sarath and Bala had outdid themselves with the decorations. A small raised canopy was constructed in the middle, draped with light pink cloth. White and pink flowers were everywhere; on the altar, the chairs, even the fairy lights that surrounded the entire place had occasional flowers in them. A small pyre was burning and through the flickering flames she could see the face of Ashwin. A smile emerged onto her face. Ashwin's eyes wandered everywhere before it fell on Sivaangi.

He would have to thank Kani akka for not letting him see the saree, because whatever he had imagined, she looked everything like that and beyond.

He smiled at her, wondering how lucky he was. To earn her again after losing her. Stray hair fell onto her face, brushing her cheek and he longed to reach out and pull them back. He took a deep breath.

"Sivaangi, payan flat uh. He's totally whipped for you," Pavitra whispered.

Sivaangi laughed and was directed towards the altar. She looked up to see her entire CWC family standing around them. Her eyes fell on Pugazh Anna, who for once, was speechless. He simply reached out and placed his hand on the crown of her head, like a blessing.