xxiv

"Sivaangi Krishna Kumar?"

Sivaangi nodded at the hotel manager who stood in front of her. Ashwin appeared from behind her, peeking over her shoulder.

"Ungaluku oru package vanthurka, poi paakuringala?"

(There's a package for you. Can you go see it?)

Sivaangi nodded and he said, "Unga common room la iruku."

(It's in your common room.)

Ashwin turned to her as he left, "Yaaru package anupirpa?"

(Who would've sent it?)

Sivaangi shrugged, "Therila. Poi pakalam." They trudged down the hallway, entering into the common room and indeed there was a huge cardboard box. She looked at Ashwin who was equally confused.

(I don't know. Let's go see.)

She walked towards the box, and on it was a gold index card.

Hope you like my gift!

      -  S.

She furrowed her eyebrows. S? She glanced at Ashwin who handed her a knife to open it. She tore open the cello tape, and opened it. In it were layers of crumpled up newspaper. She looked at Ashwin, for some reason an unsettling feeling rested in her stomach. She removed the newspapers to see what was under it. Once she laid her eyes on it, she let out a blood curdling scream and fell back into the chair.

Ashwin rushed over to her, steadying her balance. He made her sit on the chair and leaned forward to take a look at the contents,

It was a human hand, cut off on the wrist.

Ashwin's stomach churned at the sight and he looked away promptly. He looked at Sivaangi, who was trying to catch her breath, eyes wild. He didn't know what to say, what do you say after seeing something like that?

He took Sivaangi's hand, "Sivaangi.."

Sivaangi looked up at him and shook her head, "What the hell? What is going on? Ennaku ethume puriyala- Why? Who?"

(What the hell? What is going on? I don't understand anything- Why? Who?)

Ashwin shook his head and wrapped his arm around her shoulder as she laid her head on his chest, trying to calm down. He pulled out his phone, and called Vishnu.

"Hello? Vishnu. Neenga odane inga vaanga. Illa phone la explain panna time illa. Just come here as fast as you can."

(Hello? Vishnu. You need to come right away. No it can't be explained over the phone. Just come here as fast as you can.)

About half an hour later, Vishnu arrived at the scene. He looked at the frazzled Sivaangi and visibly disturbed Ashwin. "Enna achu?"

(What happened?)

Ashwin gestured towards the box, and Vishnu walked towards it and peeked inside. He stared at the hand inside and looked at Ashwin,

"Yaaruku vanthathu?"

(Who was this sent to?)

"Ennaku than," Sivaangi said. Vishnu inspected the box, and looked at the hand intently. He noticed the gold ring on the hand, and his mind raced. And it suddenly clicked in his mind, he turned to them,