Yellow Flowers

5 months.

It had been 5 months since El had last seen Mike. It was the longest five months of her life.

They were together for Thanksgiving. And now it was already spring break.

The sun was shining and it was slightly chilly. The trees were budding and some flowers were already blooming.

Luckily, Mike's spring break had lined up with El and Will's, so Karen reluctantly agreed to let Mike and Nancy take a plane to come visit them.

It was the evening before they were going to go pick them up from the airport, and Joyce was setting the table for dinner.

"Guys! Time to come eat!" Joyce shouted. Will and Jonathan emerged from their rooms and into the dining room. El jumped off the couch and everyone took their seats at the table as Joyce finished putting the dishes of food on the table. Once she sat down, everyone made their plates. But as they boys were eating, Joyce noticed El pushing her food around her plate.

"What's wrong honey?" She asked. El sighed and put her fork down.

"I think I'm nervous about seeing Mike. And excited. Kind of a combination," El said.

"We are too. Maybe not nervous, but definitely excited," Joyce said, poking her arm slightly teasingly.

"What if he doesn't come?" El asked, her eyes wide.

"He's coming, sweetie. Him and Nancy are getting on their plane any time now and they'll be on their way. He'll be here."

El nodded her head slightly and tried to eat, but her nerves had her stomach spinning.

After dinner, she helped Joyce clean the kitchen and wash the dishes. Then she went to the bathroom to clean up. She wanted to look and feel her best when she saw Mike in the morning.

She started with washing her hair, letting the conditioner sit to make her hair softer. Then she exfoliated her legs and shaved. She used her favorite smelling body wash and when she got out of the shower, she moisturized with lotion of the same scent. It was Mike's favorite scent too-lavender.

When she came out of the bathroom, the boys got to get ready for bed too. El sat on the couch by Joyce, her eyelids heavy but her legs restless.

"Go try and get some rest. We've gotta get up pretty early to go get them. Karen called while you were in the shower, they got aboard their plane," Joyce said. El smiled with excitement and hugged Joyce as she ran to her room. She wanted to sleep so the morning would come faster. She jumped in her bed and covered up.

"Mike..." she said giddily, still wearing her smile. She was so excited to see him. 5 months was way too long. El closed her eyes to try and sleep, her heart still racing. But despite the excitement and adrenaline moving through her, she managed to fall asleep.

•••••

"El, time to wake up sweetheart," Joyce said quietly, opening her bedroom door just enough for the light to shine on her face.

"Ughhh go away..." she mumbled, pulling her blanket over her face.

"It's time to go pick up Mike," Joyce said. El's eyes shot open and she jumped out of bed.

"Okay I'll be ready in five!" She said. Joyce smiled and stepped out of her room so she could get ready. She ran into the living room like a bullet.

"I'm ready!" She said.

"Okay guys I've got breakfast to go today!" Joyce said. She handed El and the boys each a wrapped breakfast sandwich and they all ran out to the car. Joyce grabbed her things and climbed in the driver's seat.