And then the darkness invades

Alice

A big hand carefully stroked back my hair, which had fallen out around my face. The sleepiness immediately disappeared, with the jolts of electricity his touch brought.

“Goodmorning sleepy.” The boys’ husky voice said.

“Did I really sleep on you all night, or morning, or whatever?” I asked.

“It’s alright, I liked, apart from the searing pain I’m feeling right now, no blood circulation.” 

My jaw fake dropped and I threw the airplane blanket at him. 

His serious face abruptly turned into one of amusement. 

“Breakfast?” A tray stood on the seat table, a bun and a cup of orange juice,

“I saved some for you, they delivered them whilst you were still sleeping.” 

I sat up, stretching, and grabbed the bun.

“Thanks, how long until we land?”

“Circa one hour.” His green eyes, before full of sparkle and cheekiness, now seemed to hint regret and sadness.

I felt the same. I didn’t want this trip to end. Were we ever going to see each other again?

Probably not. 

I got up, got out my spare clothes, black jeans, loose tank top and an orange knitted, and walked to the toilet to change.

When I returned I opened one of the magazines I had placed in the seat pocket. Gossip, gossip, gossip. I swiftly read through the pages, not paying any attention to it. Not until I saw a familiar face show up next to four other.

Harry

Out of the corner of my eye I could see the girl stiffen. What kind of magazine was she reading?

Oh no. 

Alice

Bloody hell. It couldn’t be. I looked up from the magazine, eyeing the boy, who was already staring at me, an almost frightened look on his face.

“What’s your name?” I asked harshly.

He bit his lip before answering.

“Harry.” 

I dropped the magazine in my lap and brought my hands up to cover my face. Argh, how could I have been so blind.

Of course I had heard about the band One Direction, I had even seen them on TV. 

“The Harry?”

“The Harry who?”

I pointed to his smiling face in the paper.

Assumably Harry Styles grabbed it from me and held it up next to his face.

“Does it look like me?”

I stuck my tongue out at him, cheeky, frustrating man.

“Yes.”

“Then yes, I’m The Harry.” Harry winked.

Harry

Okay. She now knew who I was.

It wasn’t as if I was going to be able to keep it hidden, not when such a big part of me didn’t want to say goodbye to her.

I handed her back the gossip journal, deliberately letting my hand linger a few seconds too much on hers. 

The seatbelt sign beeped, startling her. I suddenly remembered that I still didn’t know her name.

“Hey, what’s your name?” 

She buckled her seatbelt then met my gaze.

“Alice.” 

Alice. Alice in Wonderland, with her blonde hair, fair skin, dark blue eyes. 

“Trust me, you’re not the first one who’s thought that.” She raised her left eyebrow, “But I haven’t fallen down a rabbit hole yet.”

“Goodmorning ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain speaking. We are currently descending into sunny Los Angeles, holding 24 degrees…”

The pilot dwelled on about necessitous I didn’t care for. 

“Alice, what are you doing in LA?”

The girl tousled her hair, her face thoughtful for a moment.

“I just needed to get away, experience something new. Nobody knows I’m here.” 

“Tough girl?”

I earned a small smile. 

“Not really, I try to be. But, you know, you only live once, and I’m 18 now.”

“I understand you.” I smiled reassuringly.

Alice

“So the best friends you’ve been talking about are from One Direction?” I asked hesitantly, still playing with my hair.

“Yes sir.” 

I poked his ribs playfully at the comment. 

“You’re actually really normal for being so famous.”

“What?” He faked a hurt face then yelled loudly.

“Okay, sorry, you’re not normal,” I laughed with him, then calmed myself, “But I like you anyways, you’re charming Styles.”

Harry

I felt my smile drop, “I like you too Wonderland, you’re…” Beautiful, quirky, smart… “Cool.”

“Excuse me, will you turn you seat up in an upright position?” The flight attendant put a slender hand on Alice’s and she, a bit startled, did as she said, immediately blushing.

* * * * * * * * * * *

The descent fell quickly, and it didn’t take too long before we were standing in the aisle, bags in hand. Our bodies were pressed tightly together, I smiled at the intimate position. 

The line started disappearing out of the aircraft, allowing us to walk freely down the aisle.

Aisle. How come that made me think of something entirely else?

Alice

“Thank you for flying with British Airlines, have a nice trip and we hope to see you soon.” 

The flight staff smiled to us and we covered the steps of the plane. I flicked down my red wayfarers and felt the first rays of sun warm my heart. 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I had lost sight of Harry, even though we’d tried to stay together. It was a bit hard, when holding hands was forbidden, and paparazzi were everywhere. When we had walked through security, I caught sight of the four guys he had mentioned during the flight. All of them equally gorgeous, they stood farther away from the crowd, trying to keep themselves unnoticed. Although, unnoticed was a bit of an understatement, with all the paparazzi blasting shots of Harry, they were sure up for some attention soon.

Harry reached the lads, and they all embraced, laughing, happy to be reunited again. There was still a huge amount of people pressing on, and I was pushed further away from the group.

The last thing I remember, was meeting Harry’s green eyes. Then everything went black