Speaking of the Devil

• Dedicated to Alice Åkesson

look after you, chapter 6: 

Harry

I opened my wardrobe, searching for something that wasn’t dirty or sweaty. My eyes caught sight of something whine red, and I pulled them out from their place behind the crumpled clothes. Hollister’s signature logo covered most of the leg, and I quickly placed them as the ones I had worn on the trip to LA. 

I threw myself on the bed, reaching for the iPhone that lay under my pillow. I swiftly found the number in my contacts. 

I had tried calling her a few times, she had never picked up. My thumb brushed over the ‘dial’ button, my mind going over the pros and cons, butterflies swirling in the pit of my stomach. 

Alice

My phone chirped, the screen flashing the same number that belonged to the unknown ‘someone’. 

“Aren’t you going to pick it up?” Ollie eyed me suspiciously.

I shook my head. 

“Fine, then I’ll answer it.” He grabbed the phone and slid it open. 

“Alice’s phone, Ollie speaking.” 

I protested silently, mouthing ‘no, no, put the phone down’ over and over.

He just put a finger to my lips to silence me. 

I heard the voice on the other end of the line talk, and Ollie’s facial expression changed into a more surprised one.

“Yes, yes, of course, I’ll put you through.” 

He put the phone to his shoulder and covered the microphone with his hand.

“Speaking of the devil, guess who’s calling?”

I felt my heart drop. I motioned for him to give me the phone.

Harry

I felt my pulse speeding up in my chest. 

Calm down Harry.

“Hi?” 

Immediately when I heard her voice, my pulse settled, and the butterflies in my stomach stopped flying. At once I felt at peace with myself, like hearing her voice had some kind of magical impact.

Something in me reacted, thought that I ought to answer her?

“Hi, it’s Harry,” I said, praying that she would remember me, “Styles.”

“Hi…” She repeated nervously. 

I hit myself in a desperate attempt to come up with something good, because the truth was, I didn’t know why I’d called her. Maybe it was because I the only thing I had been thinking about the last 24 hours had been her? Or maybe because, somewhere deep inside of me, I still thought it was her number and that maybe, just maybe she might pick up.

“How are you?”

Really, that was all you could do Styles?

 Alice

He was asking me how I was?

“I’m good thanks, how about you?” That wasn’t a complete lie.

“That’s great, I’m also good,” Harry paused, “I’ve, eh, been trying to get in touch with you, ever since your accident.”

Ollie pointed to himself and then at the door, meaning that he was going to go now. I nodded and waved.

“Yes, I’m sorry I haven’t picket up…I’m not that keen on answering unknown people’s calls.” 

I received a husky laugh, which made my heart beat a little faster. I silently cursed the memory loss.

“Not to be rude or anything, but what do you want?” Curiosity colored my voice, and I sat down in the beige sofa, absentmindedly playing with my hair.

He was silent for so long that I was worried that he might have hung up, or worse, been kidnapped by a ninja.

“Harry? Are you still there?”

“Do you want to go out for coffee sometime?” He then said bluntly.