༺ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 ༻

"Where were you last night?" Pansy asked when Draco walked out of the boy's dorm. 

Draco rolled his eyes. "I went to the Astrology tower for some air," he replied. 

Pansy crossed her arms. "According to Astoria, you were with Granger."

Draco's jaw dropped. "You made Astoria spy on me?" he exclaimed. "You're out of your mind."

"Why were you with Granger?" she asked again. "The two of you seemed pretty cozy. Or so I'm told."

"Ew! No! That's repulsive!" Draco said. "There is nothing going on between Granger and I. She was upset over Weasel and Saint Potter, so I offered her some comfort. What else was I supposed to do?"

"Stomp all over her feelings and make her feel worse than she already did," Pansy deadpanned. "Isn't it obvious?"

Draco walked past her and to the door. "You're crazy," he said before walking out.

He walked into the great hall, casting a subtle glance at the Gryffindor table before sitting down beside Blaise. "So," Blaise said, raising an eyebrow. "Are you planning on telling me about your late night rendezvous... with Granger?"

"Oh yeah," he said nonchalantly. "It was for potions." Draco cut up the pancake in front of him and put a piece into his mouth.

Blaise sat there, gaping. "Draco Malfoy! I will not believe for one second that you and Granger were together at the Astronomy tower in the middle of the night for potions!"

"Will you shut up?!" Draco hissed.

Blaise grinned. "Oh, I see. You've got something to hide."

"No I don't," Draco said. "Nothing happened."

"Okay so then tell me what did happen?" Blaise pushed.

"It was nothing," Draco replied.

"It was nothing or you did nothing?" Blaise was relentless.

"Fine!" Draco huffed. "She was upset about Weasel and Potter's departure so I made her feel better."

Blaise's jaw dropped. "You snogged, didn't you?"

Draco punched him in the shoulder. "No, you git! It was nothing like that at all. We just talked."

"Let me get this straight. The two of you talked for multiple hours in the Astronomy tower... and no one fell off?" Draco nodded along with what Blaise was saying. Blaise was incredulous. "What kind of world has this become?"

Draco shrugged. "I've decided to start making my own choices for once. I don't want to let the Dark Lord control me unless I want him to."

Blaise nodded. "Okay. So in that case, school shouldn't control us either! Can we sneak off to The Three Broomsticks? I deserve a drink."

"And miss all of our classes?" Draco inquired.

"Right right right right right." Blaise pondered for a moment before saying, "We'll go after potions so that you get your daily dose of Granger."

Draco rolled his eyes. "You're impossible."

༺♢༻

"Whoa. Hold on," Ginny said. "You were with Malfoy for most of the night and you let  him put his arm around your shoulder?"

Hermione frowned. "I know. I wasn't thinking. He was just being so nice and it seemed genuine." Her nose wrinkled. "It sounds weird when you describe it like that, though."