Chapter 9: Into the Sun

[3281 words]

**Content warnings: violence, mentions of blood**

~Prince George of the Kingdom of Flor~

Besides the royal carriage's driver, a Stable Guard of Tejan descent, few castle residents were aware of my departure. The Primary Guard Itan did not suspect me when I resided alone in the royal dining hall, eating breakfast faster than usual. Vaguely I noticed the Secondary Guard Arwun was missing, but I did not know the man well, so I ignored his absence. Thanking my mother for her promise to assure my father of my safety, I relished the idea of a secret trip outside the castle walls.

Flinging myself out the castle's front gates, I giggled with excitement as I led my Heir Guard to the royal carriage which awaited us directly outside. Beneath the low light of dawn, the cobblestone streets outside the castle walls were nearly empty except for occasional vendors and merchants setting up their daily displays. Chirping crickets filled the early morning air with a quiet, refreshing song.

My Heir Guard Dream followed, his pace equally determined to escape the black stone castle walls. Velvet underclothing rustled and armor plates clinked behind me as we boarded the royal carriage's open side door together.

The Stable Guard closed the carriage door, allowing Dream and me to adjust ourselves in the two indoor seats across from one another. Seconds later, through the muffling of the carriage's curtains, cracked a pair of reins. The royal horses whinnied, then the carriage jerked forward.

Gasping, I clutched the rim of the seat below me, causing my Heir Guard to chuckle with amusement until I sent him an admonishing pout.

"Never been in a carriage before?" Dream joked.

"It's been a while," I huffed. "You already know I don't go out often."

Shortly into our journey along the bumpy streets with the clattering of hooves outside, I lifted a hand to part the curtains along one side of the carriage's purple velvet walls. No sources of light within the carriage's compartment meant I squinted when the sun touched my eyes. Blinking with awe, I observed the community streets outside.

Before today's trip to Orlan, I studied a map of the Florean Kingdom, which illustrated our route through the communities of Hassee and Mingham. Dream and I leaned toward the window together, breathing fresh air as we observed Hassee's bustling streets. Clothes dried on ledges, vendors advertised their exquisite sales of beads, construction workers dug ditches to accommodate new buildings, and artisans sold clay pots. Hasseans wore plain clothing, their schoolchildren were educated in small groups in shaded plazas, and they glanced at the royal carriage with mild interest before returning their attention to their daily activities. All seemed happy and normal. My heart swelled with pride at the sight of the healthy community.

Our royal carriage's entrance into Mingham was gradual, shifting to a community centered on business and finance. Instead of street vendors, solicitors wandered the streets. Minghamians wore fancy clothing, signalling the community's greater wealth. Minghamian streets were less crowded and less bumpy. The air was cooler beneath the oak trees lining every walkway. Minghamians glanced toward the royal carriage with gleaming eyes. When they realized the carriage's occupants were the Prince and his guard, a few dared to approach. Businesspeople struggled to match the royal horses' trotting speed as they ran alongside its wheels and window.

"Prince George, Your Highness, what an unexpected surprise!"

"Welcome to Mingham, Your Highness!"

"May I interest you in investing in -?"

Despite the warm welcomes, no Minghamians could stay long enough to advertise their business services for the prince to agree or accept their contact information. As they fell behind and gave up, my gaze flitted past them to read signs advertising prices: 2 bronze coins for a bale of hay, 2 gold coins for one day of cleaning services, or 1 silver coin for a set of fancy clothing. Every sign tantalized its readers, advertising products as if these prices were the best around. I saw nothing which could confirm they were.